Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

anchor point

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Hi again. Does anyone recognise this? (see photo) It's on the propshaft tunnel behind the front seats. Could it be used on my 1963 traveller for the front seat-belt stalks anchor point ? And yes, I need to clean the carpets!!
Attachments
20190421_144704.jpg
20190421_144704.jpg (4.85 MiB) Viewed 2634 times
simmitc

Re: anchor point

Post by simmitc »

That's exactly what it is. However, it is an aftermarket fig, so check that it is correctly installed before relying on it. I would prefer to mount each stalk separately, not both on the same point which would take a lot of strain in the event of an accident.
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Thanks simmitc. Intersesting to know that's what it is. Like you, I think independent anchors would be the safest way to go.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I’ve never been totally convinced that seat belts are of much value in cars of a certain age...
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

You have a pont steveclem. With no impact zones or crumple zones, what are we strspping ourselves in for? However they would help in whiplash incidents. Also a 50 year habit is hard to kick.
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

I side with simmitc. Mounted too high up for one of the "base " seat belt fittings. Two reinforced plates, purpose made car seat belt fixing , welded into the sides of the transmission tunnel ,onto good sound metal is your starting off point. The two outer reinforced plates ( sill area ) , for the webbing reel retractor unit will have to
be fitted in a similar manner. The major hurdle with a traveller is where to fit the shoulder fixing. There is no obvious , structually sound , place to fix it. Some decent fabrication will be required.

Hopefully a Traveller owner , who's been there got the T shirt can enlighten you with their solution to the problem.

I would recommend a read of all the Information on the Securon website www.securon.co.uk. It sets out recommended seat belt formats , auto and fixed belts, etc plus all the hardware associated with their installation. Satisfied customer ,I fitted their belts to another Classic car. Helpful on the phone as well.
We don't have crumple zones or air bags to give us protection , so anything that stops us " kissing the heavy metal " has got to go a little way to shortening the odds of serious injury in my books.
Bob
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The fitting of seat belts to the Morris traveller is set out in BMC Wksp Manual Sections R38 & R39. It covers vehicles without incorporated and with incorporated seat belt mounts.

Whilst not perfect they are the factory approved mounts and should not be deviated from unless the fitter is knowledgeable and experienced in fitting bespoke seat belts.

Fitting seat belts without the correct knowledge and experience can be dangerous for the wearer.

The seat belt will not stop whiplash but a head rest (even an after market item) will go some way to stop it happening.

A HANS system is even better. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device

With the traveller drilling the hole in the wooden 'B' post capping was always exciting.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Don't laugh at me... looking at the OPs picture, isn't it the fixing for the rear ashtray, which was attached to the transmission tunnel somewhere in that vicinity?
1956 4-door called Max
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Re. Palacebears comment , the ash tray was my first thought , although in my Minor the rear ash tray screws down into the transmission tunnel with self tappers . The two front retracting ash trays are very useful for loose change :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Re. Philthehills post , thats the one !!!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Don't laugh at me... looking at the OPs picture, isn't it the fixing for the rear ashtray
Alright, I won't laugh, but absolutely no, it is not a fitting for the ashtray.
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

Isnt it the rear handbrake anchor point for the rear end of the ratchet gear?

Or is it further back than that point?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I was thinking along those lines but like yourself thought it too far back but maybe not !

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Morris Minor 1000 rear handbrake mount fits inside a 'U' shaped yoke which is welded to the top of the transmission tunnel.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=image ... JjqCl_m6WM: