Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mattyguk1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Refitting engine and gearbox advise

Post by mattyguk1 »

Hi all, the time has come to refit my engine and gearbox. Any advice to make the job easier would be welcome, do I fit the gearbox crossmember before I start ? Also is it best to fit engine towers to engine or chassis before fitting ? I already have the front panel removed to make it easier ....
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Re: Refitting engine and gearbox advise

Post by King Kenny »

Its been a long time since I did this but from (vague) memory... Gearbox cross member fitted after and I believe the engine towers fitted to the engine first. Hope this helps and I am sure it will become obvious when you start. 'Good luck, Mr. Phelps'.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

I fitted mine with the engine and gearbox bolted together less the cylinder head. Car on axle stands then pushed the complete assembly undernieth. raised with hoist then bolted engine mounts etc.. in place.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

As the manual explains, "refitting is a reversal of removal". The gearbox cross member has to be fitted after the gearbox has been installed (or more accurately, as part of the fitting process). Right hand engine tower installed in car, left hand tower attached to engine. Fitting gearbox and engine separately makes for a lighter unit to lift and move, fitting bolted toigether makes clutch alignment easier. Which you use depoends on personal preference and capacity of lifting gear. I would do the two together, lift over the front cross member and then lower down and back. Having the head fitted provides the attachments for the correct lifting eyes.
mattyguk1
Minor Fan

Post by mattyguk1 »

Thanks chaps much appreciated
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Quick thought: Keep all engine and gearbox mounts loose until the car is on lkevel ground with the engine and box sitting on the mounts and not being supported by lifting gear. Wiggle everything arounf to ensure that it has settled, and only then fuly tighten the nuts and bolts holding the towers to car and the nuts on all mounts.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Make sure that you fit the correct engine mount tower to the correct side - they are handed.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

I have always removed the front panel in the past, but was wondering how much more difficult it is to leave the front panel fitted, and drop the engine side ways and connect to 'box in car? This method is shown in workshop manual, and may be faster if only engine needs to be removed? I ask, because I will be shortly swapping an engine.
John
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

It is relatively easy, once the radiator has been removed, of course, and assuming you have a controllable enough hoist.

But yes, generally far easier with the front panel removed, assuming the numerous small bolts holding it on actually undo easily, which is not often the case after a few years of having being undisturbed, particularly with the infamous 'hockey sticks'.

Another good tip is to detach the bonnet support and hold the bonnet as far back as it will go using a length of rope (being careful not to scratch the roof, of course). This allows a bit more room to get in there for major works, without having to crouch over all the time and potentially bash your head on the bonnet.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks. Yes I have a variable angle beam on the mobile crane, so will try it. Have only recently renewed the front panel etc, but took an age to get correct, and not looking forward to ripping it out again. The engine swap is just an upgrade.
John