Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

water pump noise

Post by cococola »

My Traveller has developed a horrible screech when the engine is underload and upon investigation today, I have play in my pump pulley.
I did notice lately that My radiator was hot at the top and cold at the bottom so I wonder if this was not helping the situation?
I've ordered a water pump,thermostat and the small hose (precaution previous experiences) that fits onto the water pump allfor £25.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: water pump noise

Post by kennatt »

the screech is more likely a loose fan belt,but if there is play in the pully then a change is probably wise,but make sure the belt is tensioned especially if you have an alternator fitted,as far as the rad ...well that's how it works cooling the hot water as it enters the top and feeding the colder water back into the engine, Unless its totally cold and the engine is overheating which indicates a blocked rad.
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

cococola wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:44 pm My Traveller has developed a horrible screech when the engine is underload and upon investigation today, I have play in my pump pulley.
I did notice lately that My radiator was hot at the top and cold at the bottom so I wonder if this was not helping the situation?
I've ordered a water pump,thermostat and the small hose (precaution previous experiences) that fits onto the water pump allfor £25.
The loading of the engine shouldn’t affect the water pump. Do you mean engine revs?
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Sorry yes engine revs :oops:
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

check the fan belt tension before doing anything else
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

kennatt wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:25 am check the fan belt tension before doing anything else
Hi yes belt tension was all correct
many thanks
Alan