Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Midget slave thread

Post by Rust bucket »

Good evening folks, anyone know what thread size is on an early Midget's (1098 / 1275) clutch slave cylinder. Also it looks like the pipe should be 1/4 not 3/16.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Midget slave thread

Post by philthehill »

Whether an early or late slave cylinder the pipe into the rear of the slave cylinder is of the flexible type nor solid.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/hose-slav ... soc=405780

The bleed nipple outlet or the pipe inlet can be used for the hydraulic feed.

I am certain the pipe has a 5/16" UNF thread where it enters the slave cylinder - at least it is on my slave cylinder as is the bleed nipple thread.
100_1455.JPG
100_1455.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1047 times

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Thanks Philthehill for the flexi pipe info, but I still think Mk1 and early Mk2's had a solid pipe to the slave. I'd be happier with some more flexibility at that end so I'll for that rubber clutch pipe.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

I have never come across a completely solid pipe between the clutch slave cylinder and the master cylinder.
There needs to be some flexibility of the pipe at the slave cylinder to counteract/absorb any engine movement which could lead to fracturing of the pipe with resultant loss of fluid and total loss of clutch.

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

I agree, it's just that I've looked at comments on MG sites about leaving a coil of copper tube near the slave cylinder for this reason, also old exported Midgets on utube just look like they have a solid pipe to the slave...odd.