Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Sills, Order of Work

Post by culp »

Hello,

I'm working on the sills for my 1970 Traveller. Basically, everything needs doing.
Left Hand Sill Morris Minor
Left Hand Sill Morris Minor
IMG_20190425_094817.jpg (443.06 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Left Hand wheel arch Morris Minor
Left Hand wheel arch Morris Minor
IMG_20190425_094808.jpg (450.55 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
I have all the repair panels that ESM do. I have a full 1/2 floor with the inner sill step fitted

I've welded a brace across the door. The rusty stuff at the bottom is all that is holding the sill in place I didn't put it there.
I've started to cut away the floor leaving in what's left of the cross member and I've cut away the underfloor 1/4 panels at the front and back (they weren't doing much good anyway!)

I thought I'd work in the following order
  • Carry on cutting away the floor
    Cut out the inner sill step leaving the outer boxing plate in place (it's virtually out anyway theres about 2 inches of reasonable metal holding it in place)
    tack weld in all around the floor and tack the A & B Posts to the inner sill step
    Cut away the bottoms of the A & B Post (they've rusted to oblivion anyway)
    Cut out and replace the boxing plate and the rear boxing sill extension
    plug weld the new boxing plate to the inner sill step
    weld in B Post repair section at the bottom
    Start on the front inner whee larch so that I can then get a solid basis to weld up the front of the boxing plate and inner sill step
    come back to the A post and the door gap when that's done
Is that a good order?
Do I need to brace further?

Thanks once again

Alan
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Sills, Order of Work

Post by mogbob »

Alan
Having always been a "belt and braces man " when it comes to bodywork I'd brace from the top of the boxing plate / inner sill step section to the top of the transmission tunnel. If you go just behind the handbrake position you could always do a 45 degree brace from the brace you've just welded in , to go to the front open end of the transmission tunnel i.e immediately below the hand brake button. That way you can brace the area well whilst leaving enough wriggle room to get the large 1/4 panel floor section in under the braces.

I'd try and leave the A and B posts as much as "in situ " as you can until the sill / boxing section is reconstructed.
The www.moss-europe.co.uk/ website shows a diagram with all 7 bits of metal coming together ( under the body and fittings section ). The more reference points you remove at one time , the greater the risk of it not marrying up correctly later.
Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but beware the loose hinge plates , contained unseen inside the A post.

If you're lucky ….it will be sitting on a retaining ledge. It allows the hinge to be moved about to adjust the door fitting. If you're NOT lucky , the ledge may have rusted through. Fix at least one door hinge bolt and washer to the plate through the A post so that it does not drop. Open heart surgery , with an angle grinder is the only way
of retrieving it later !
Bob
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by culp »

Mogbob, thanks for the input, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Alan
No problem. Sometimes it's just "too much to do and so little time ". I understand. Good luck with it.
Bob