Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Sale of Logbooks

Post by POMMReg »

In correspondance with DVLA to resolve the problem of the sale of logbooks/rf60's.

Those of you with advice, comments etc. please contact me.

Thanks.

Chris (POMMReg)
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sale of Logbooks

Post by les »

Resolve the sale of log books?—— Good luck with that one!! Next project, rid the world of evil? :roll:

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Les that would be easier :lol:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Anyhow, I'll give it a go, SO much scope for vehicle theft if all some basket has to do is buy a £20 logbook off ebay & pinch a vehicle.

Additional problem being DVLA place more importance on "documentation" than it does on actual evidence that the vehicle IS what it proports to be....ie alarm bell's with new chassis plate...
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The DVLA don't give a damn and at the end of the day DVLA own the logbook not the vehicle keeper :evil:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Emailed a certain MP.....see what 'appens!!
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

Two more Log books for sale on fleabay. Have reported them.
[img]jpg[/img]
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

burnham28 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:44 am
No comment needed really - your posting name seems to cover the situation quite adequately! 8)
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

All we can do is record them, interestingly how some vendors ALSO hide the registrations, not just the chassis numbers....so why would anyone buy a rf60 with NO idea of the regn..as for "Uncancelled",
just plain dodgy to me!!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

E-mail back from the Transpoet Minister's office, have NO control over sale of old logbooks, however, those advertised WITH a current v5c lockbooks can be voided, ie; reasoning behind regns often obscured.

Nice long message, but nothing we didn't expect!
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I don't see a problem with selling buff logbooks, it would be nice to find the original one for a car you have, though the chances are very slim.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Good on you for trying Chris!
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

Over the last few years if I see a log book for sale I report it to ebay and eventually some of them are taken off. We all know what the old log books will eventually be used for. E bay has now banned me from reporting them. Its going to be much easier to clone a stolen minor now.
[img]jpg[/img]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

The sale of old rf60 logbooks isn't an issue, near impossible replicating the correct id plates, stick out like a sore thumb!

The REAL threats are both the current v5 logbooks for sale that come with id plates AND terminally rotten bodyshells WITH all id plates present & DVLA documentation.

By the by, publication of "POMMReg's "Minor id booklet" has been scrubbed owing to the above reasons.

As always, Minor chassis, body & engine numbers always needed.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Over a decade of work down the pan then ! I remember you posting around June 2010 that it was nearly finished. Shame for those that supported it and put their name down for a copy, as you know I cancelled my request as I guessed it might end like this, none the less sorry to hear.

MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

POMMReg wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:15 am The sale of old rf60 logbooks isn't an issue, near impossible replicating the correct id plates, stick out like a sore thumb!
I agree, the old RF60 logbooks are really 'historic' documents and some people do collect them, as with old tax discs. In most cases they are the only existing record available for a particular registration mark, because many vehicle registration offices destroyed their records once the DVLA took over. If anything there really should be an effort to preserve them and the information they record, rather than it be lost forever. Unfortunately, these days with 'data protection' in overdrive the emphasis seems to be more on destroying information rather than retaining it. I can't help but feel our cars would loose a large part of their 'character' and be rather bland without their history :(
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

I'll second that!!

As for the "Minor id booklet", was discussed amongst a group of us & the conclusion being to cancel publication owing to it possibly falling into the "wrong" hands, so I apologise to those who were wanting a copy.

Those of you kind enough to supply FULL details of your LCVs have allowed our Register to be in a position - provided registration is on the DVLA database & cab number is present - to assist IF the chassis number of an Adderley Park LCV has been lost, or is unknown.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I would have thought that the possibility of this booklet falling into the wrong hands was there from when the initial offer of distribution was made. I can’t think what’s changed. I’m happy with the information I have gathered but a shame for other interested parties. There’s already plenty of info out there now to commit fraud, you don’t need a booklet for that particular activity.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Email me & I'll send what I have.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for your offer Chris, but I’ll respect your decision, I have info and history for my vehicle, in fact I only have one lcv now.