slip ring assembly.

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nearsidenellie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

slip ring assembly.

Post by nearsidenellie »

Hi can anyone advise me on the slip ring horn assembly including where the wire from the horn connects too, only every part seems to be insulated against making a connection to the steering column for the horn to work.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: slip ring assembly.

Post by RobThomas »

Ring is insulated from column but wire goes up centre to horn button. 'Finger' is insulated from cast mounting bracket but wire goes off to horn (purple). Electricity kept away from steering components apart from the finger and slip ring which have to be mounted like that.
Cardiff, UK
nearsidenellie
Minor Friendly

Post by nearsidenellie »

Thanks for that Rob, how does power get to the finger? sketch would help me.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Purple wire from under the dashboard. It should have a ring terminal on the end.
Cardiff, UK
nearsidenellie
Minor Friendly

Post by nearsidenellie »

Thanks yet again Rob. when I connect that wire the horn goes all the time, so it must be shorting somewhere I have checked the horn push that seems ok, reconnected the insulated parts several times to no avail, any further ideas
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

The horn button just connects the purple to earth, via the steering wheel boss and then the rack. If your wire from brass slip ring to horn button has frayed then it'll beep all the time. Check continuity?
Cardiff, UK
nearsidenellie
Minor Friendly

Post by nearsidenellie »

Hi Rob.back again!. I connected from the slip ring to the wire in the horn button with my tester that was ok. I also checked from the horn button wire to the finger same result the tester lit. I am now at a loss what to try next, could there be a fault in the insulation pieces or the hooter itself, anymore ideas please.
nearsidenellie
Minor Friendly

Post by nearsidenellie »

Hi Rob slip ring sorted, my finger to the slip ring did`nt have anything for the purple wire from under the dash to connect to once this was realised it was plain sailing, my 80 year old brain works slowly. that done it worked ok, but now has stopped I think its an earth problem any ideas on that ? :cry:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The brain or the slip ring ??????????? :wink: