Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear wheel cylinders

Post by les »

Ive just replaced these cylinders, which normally I’ve bled quite easily. However I’ve still got air this time round. I sealed the pipes as soon as i disconnected them so feel the problem is limited to the rears, having not touched the front
I’ll bleed them again tomorrow, it might just need another attempt but I seem to recall a long lost post that mentions a procedure for bleeding rear cylinder, am I imagining this? I haven’t done anything special other times.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Rear wheel cylinders

Post by philthehill »

Les
In the past I have had to jack the rear of the car up really high so as to get the air out of the system. So high the cars were virtually standing on their noses. Helps to have a high lift jack.
Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Sounds like a plan, Phil , it make sense. I’ll do just that!

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Just a follow up to conclude the thread, I jacked the rear up pretty high and pushed a quantity of fluid through the system, which ran clear. The pedal feels good now.

Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

For People who maybe as stupid as me - the rear brake bleed nipples are at the end of a brass extension, if i can call it that. It is imperative to tighten this up against the Banjo so that it is also vertical. It is very possible to have it in another Position such that bleeding the air out is a challenge.....

...but i expect this is known already......i found out the hard way
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

In that position it makes sense to fit little caps to keep the bleed nipples clear.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Put those little caps over the ends of the grease nipples as well.

Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

Hi les, I can remember you said you use sylicone brake fluid and have said this preserves the wheel cylinders. Can I ask why you needed to replace the rears?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well, I was having a general checking session, and on removing the nearside drum I thought the general area looked a bit damp. I deduced it was from a cylinder, so as good practice I bought a new one for each side. I am now wondering if my deduction was correct because during the renewal process I noticed a small puddle of oil on the floor just under the hub area, it came from the half shaft gasket. I still can’t be sure if this caused the damp appearance as with the drum and wheel off there is little to compress this gasket, so it may have been inevitable for oil to seep out.
I am indeed using silicone fluid and initially was surprised to think the seals were leaky. However as explained, I still cannot be certain as to the source of the damp but if I see further evidence I’ll conclude it was/is the gasket.