By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JHarley
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Hello, New MMOC Member

Post by JHarley »

Hello all,

I'm a new member of the MMOC in the process of
purchasing his first Moggy and I thought I might introduce myself, I'm Joe, I've always been interested in classic cars, particularly American muscle cars, but I'm now taking an interest in post-war British classics, I've found the advice on the forum very helpful already in my search for the right Minor.

Thanks,
Joe
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

The proud owner of Alan, a 1966 Trafalgar Blue Traveller.
simmitc

Re: Hello, New MMOC Member

Post by simmitc »

Welcome, good to have you onboard. If you know what sort of Minor you want then it might be owrth posting the details. Also, when you get your welcome pack with Minor Matters in it, there are quite a few cars for sale there. Good luck with the search. If you need someone to view a car with you, then your local branch might be able to help.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Hi Joe have a look at a few :) there are some good ones in Minor matters
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Hi Joe welcome to te wonderful world of Morris Minor :D
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Hello,

Thank you all for such a warm welcome, I'm hoping that Charles Ware will do a full rebuild for me, I'm trying to get a Traveller, 1964 preferably, with the 1098cc engine.

Regards,

Joe :D
Last edited by JHarley on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Welcome :D

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

philthehill wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 am Welcome :D
Thank You, I've found your advice (and other's) very helpful

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The Morris Minor is still such a great little car. You can do SO much with them if you want to. Best advice is simply to buy the best/most sound example you can find for the money you have available as a major restoration will cost far more than buying a decent car in the first place. What age/model/specification has caught your eye? Whatever it is, have fun with it!
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 pm The Morris Minor is still such a great little car. You can do SO much with them if you want to. Best advice is simply to buy the best/most sound example you can find for the money you have available as a major restoration will cost far more than buying a decent car in the first place. What age/model/specification has caught your eye? Whatever it is, have fun with it!

Hi, hoping for a Traveller, 1964, 1098cc engine preferably in Trafalgar Blue, hoping Charles Ware will do a rebuild for me

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Wares will certainly do a rebuild for you but you ought to be aware that a good quality professional restoration can easily cost more than buying a car in good condition and ready to use and enjoy.
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

ianmack wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 pm Wares will certainly do a rebuild for you but you ought to be aware that a good quality professional restoration can easily cost more than buying a car in good condition and ready to use and enjoy.
Yes, I'm aware that, sadly I have no mechanical skill so I cannot restore the car myself, I'm trying to pull out all the stops to make sure the car is reliable as possible as I plan to take it to France, Belgium etc. To see the WW1 and WW2 battlefields

Regards,

Joe

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

One thing I can say is that a Morris Minor doesn't have to be fully restored to be reliable.
The first time I drove to the South of France was in an old Morris Minor I had paid £80.00 for. I never had a moment of trouble with it mechanically :) Northern France is not actually that far away from Southern England so any working Morris Minor should be fine :wink:
Don't let anyone talk you into spending £20,000 on the basis of reliability! Most of the money will be spent on cosmetics - which is fine if that's what you want.
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

ManyMinors wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:00 pm One thing I can say is that a Morris Minor doesn't have to be fully restored to be reliable.
The first time I drove to the South of France was in an old Morris Minor I had paid £80.00 for. I never had a moment of trouble with it mechanically :) Northern France is not actually that far away from Southern England so any working Morris Minor should be fine :wink:
Don't let anyone talk you into spending £20,000 on the basis of reliability! Most of the money will be spent on cosmetics - which is fine if that's what you want.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice ! :D , I think I might reconsider, the only thing I'm concerned about is the wood on the Traveller, as it's structurally integral to the car, although I'm aware of the weak points.

Yours,

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The Traveller is a lovely car and practical too. I quite see the appeal. If you are going to purchase a restored one then, no doubt, the timber frame will have been replaced - but will still require a fair bit of looking after if you use the car regularly or keep it outside at all. If you don't need the space of a Traveller, my advice would be to consider a saloon as they are quite a bit less expensive and just as good (maybe better!) to drive as they are generally less noisy. It is horses for courses really, but most of us will be restricted by budget to some extent and, for my money, a good saloon is more satisfactory than an average traveller for the same price. My advice - if you haven't already done so - would be to look at several different cars for sale, drive them and only then make a decision. I'm sure you'll find the right car :)
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

ManyMinors wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 pm The Traveller is a lovely car and practical too. I quite see the appeal. If you are going to purchase a restored one then, no doubt, the timber frame will have been replaced - but will still require a fair bit of looking after if you use the car regularly or keep it outside at all. If you don't need the space of a Traveller, my advice would be to consider a saloon as they are quite a bit less expensive and just as good (maybe better!) to drive as they are generally less noisy. It is horses for courses really, but most of us will be restricted by budget to some extent and, for my money, a good saloon is more satisfactory than an average traveller for the same price. My advice - if you haven't already done so - would be to look at several different cars for sale, drive them and only then make a decision. I'm sure you'll find the right car :)
Thank You for the advice, I think this is what I'll go with :D , However, I wouldn't want to make the wrong decision on a car (I'm very skilled at making the wrong decision! :) )

Many thanks,

Joe :)

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Ten years ago I treated myself to rebuilt Traveller from Charles Ware. It’s been fabulous,and I got the spec that I wanted...1275 engine,5 speed box etc. But it was expensive and has depreciated somewhat. I’m not bothered as it’s used almost daily and it’s a keeper. One like mine would now cost nearer to £30k !
In effect you are buying a new car, or one indistinguishable from new, and paying the premium that all new car buyers pay.
Better value can be found,of course, but I’ve got no regrets. It’s been cheap to run,insure and maintain and a lot more fun than a modern run-around. It’s coped well with long journeys and isn’t embarrassing on the motorway...70mph is no problem. The car has also proved useful for transporting furniture that wouldn’t fit into my wife’s modern Golf...now that was a truly horrible machine!
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

SteveClem wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:59 pm Ten years ago I treated myself to rebuilt Traveller from Charles Ware. It’s been fabulous,and I got the spec that I wanted...1275 engine,5 speed box etc. But it was expensive and has depreciated somewhat. I’m not bothered as it’s used almost daily and it’s a keeper. One like mine would now cost nearer to £30k !
In effect you are buying a new car, or one indistinguishable from new, and paying the premium that all new car buyers pay.
Better value can be found,of course, but I’ve got no regrets. It’s been cheap to run,insure and maintain and a lot more fun than a modern run-around. It’s coped well with long journeys and isn’t embarrassing on the motorway...70mph is no problem. The car has also proved useful for transporting furniture that wouldn’t fit into my wife’s modern Golf...now that was a truly horrible machine!
Haha! :D , good to know you're satisfied with it, as I plan to purchase one, depreciation doesn't matter as I plan to keep the car in the family for as long as possible

Regards,

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Hello,
I've changed my search to a saloon, preferably a black four-door, anything after 1959 is fine.

Regards
Joe :)