Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JHarley
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Where to purchase cars?

Post by JHarley »

Hi, I'm a new member of the MMOC, looking for my first Minor, and I was wondering if anyone knew any good websites to purchase cars, I'm already aware of Charles Ware, West Riding Classics and I have looked at the classifieds in Minor Matters, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joe
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

The proud owner of Alan, a 1966 Trafalgar Blue Traveller.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: Where to purchase cars?

Post by ianmack »

You could try eBay, gumtree and car and classic. Be careful on eBay though.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Or perhaps I should say be careful whatever medium you are using.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Have a look on the Cars For Sale section of this Forum. There is also good advice to be found there about buying. Also ask around at your local MMOC branch to see if anyone knows of anything for sale. Again, people may have advice and be prepared to look at potential purchases with you. Also the classified section of Mainly Minors.

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I'am aware of the risks of buying online, I will probably ask around my local branch, it will actually be a few months before I can purchase the car as I'm going to the USA on holiday in a couples of days, thanks again for the information.

Regards,
Joe :D
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

Chappers
Minor Friendly

Post by Chappers »

Depends where you are in the country.
I got mine from Sussex Classics at Crawley Down.
Happy to pay a bit more from a good dealer, although we thought our car was a good price.
Satisfied that the guy was pretty genuine as I talked to him before I committed to purchase.
Actually Stuart there was a really nice chap, showing us around the workshop etc.
Even offered to deliver the car for us, but I wanted to drive the 30 or so miles home myself.
What you need to look for is plenty of history, that will show how well the car has been looked after.
Not forgetting though that a 50 year old car could have been restored at least twice already in its life!
Classic cars are like houses, we own and keep them for a short time, or perhaps several decades, but eventually if not destroyed they pass into the hands of others.
Do your research, take an educated chance and enjoy and improve what you get.
Hopefully have great fun doing it🤗😜
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Chappers wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:22 pm Depends where you are in the country.
Happy to pay a bit more from a good dealer, although we thought our car was a good price.
Satisfied that the guy was pretty genuine as I talked to him before I committed to purchase.
Actually Stuart there was a really nice chap, showing us around the workshop etc.
Even offered to deliver the car for us, but I wanted to drive the 30 or so miles home myself.
What you need to look for is plenty of history, that will show how well the car has been looked after.
Not forgetting though that a 50 year old car could have been restored at least twice already in its life!
Classic cars are like houses, we own and keep them for a short time, or perhaps several decades, but eventually if not destroyed they pass into the hands of others.
Do your research, take an educated chance and enjoy and improve what you get.
Hopefully have great fun doing it🤗😜
Hi,

Thanks for the advice, good to know you were pleased with you're car, as I said this is my first classic, quite excited to get it :D.

Regards,

Joe :)

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Chappers wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:22 pm Depends where you are in the country.
Three years ago I got my Minor from Sussex Classics at Crawley Down Garage as well. Suggest you visit their website and have a look at customer feedback (mine included).
As Chappers says, they (like most dealers) are maybe slightly towards the higher end of the price bracket, but they're good!

As you know, on-line purchasing can be risky, especially eBay these days. If following that route do NOT part with any money (not even a deposit) until you've viewed the car in person, satisfied yourself that it's what it's supposed to be and that the seller is entitled to sell it!
1956 4-door called Max
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

You also need to decide if you want a project car that is driveable but will need work doing over time or whether you want a car that is sorted and reliable that you can just drive without worrying. The latter obviously comes with a higher price tag.

Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

I would definitely contact a local branch and talk to them about any members who might be selling their cars or know of one for sale.

Also unless you are mechanically minded I would definitely take someone with you when you go and view the said car.If you haven’t got anyone you know to go with you ,again ask at your local branch and I’m sure someone would be more than willing to help. I would even suggest this method if you go to a reputable garage because your understanding of the car might be something different to the people you are buying it from.

The last point to make is to take your time and don’t rush better to take time now rather than rush into something and end up buying a car that needs more work than you thought!!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Have a look in Minor Matters the club magazine as most are looked after cars