Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Wheel alignment

Post by geoberni »

Hi All
So Basil has got wear on the inside of just one front tyre, the Offside (drivers) one.
Nearside is wearing evenly.
Offside Tyre
20190724_121752.jpg
20190724_121752.jpg (777.12 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
Nearside Tyre
20190724_121102.jpg
20190724_121102.jpg (967.02 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
I'm looking to change the tyres in the near future since they are pretty old (they only have a single year date code, not double digits, so I assume at least 20 years old. :o ).

But my first question is, could this wear of one side only simply be caused by incorrect toe-in, or does the Moggie also have a Camber adjustment?

Supplementary Question, does anyone use one of those Drive Over alignment gauges, like garages always used before they got all fancy with mirrors and laser beams? e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tool-Academy ... SwjTlZgwUv

Thanks
Basil the 1955 series II

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by alanworland »

I have a drive over Gibson wheel tracker and was not always convinced of its findings.
To set up mine I used some steel bar with angled ends that were able to register on the inside of the wheels at centre height to measure the distance between.
Bit awkward to use as it has to be done at normal suspension height but the tyres are wearing evenly so it can't be far out!

Alan
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

Here are the settings I copied from a post from Islip Minor on a old thread a couple of years ago.

The settings that you need for a standard Minor are:
Toe-in
3/32 inch OR 2.4 – 2.5 mm OR 0.8 degrees

For an initial setup disconnect the track rod ends from the rack, centre the rack, remove the column and re-fit so that the indicator cancelling button is in the centre of the indicator switch. Now screw both rod ends back on to the rack the same number of turns each side and about half way along the threads. By sight, just see if the wheels look approximately parallel. If yes, then that should do for starters, if no, then adjust both side by the same amount until the wheels look about right.

When driving to the place with the gauge be aware that the car may handle differently depnding on how close (or not) you have got the setting. Ensure that the workshop sets properly by adjusting each side equally until they have the settings above. If they just want to set them fully parallel (that's what we do with the modern ones) then look for somwhere better.
So they should want to move EACH wheel inwards at the front by 0.403 degrees relative to the centreline of the car. If they are measuring relative to the other wheel, then have them ajust it so that there is 0.806 degrees between the front wheels.

Hope it helps
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

your nearside tyre looks to be feathered, or is it just the angle of the camera?
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Murrayminor wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:10 am your nearside tyre looks to be feathered, or is it just the angle of the camera?
Just the camera angle I think; it seems OK if you run your fingers over it. Whereas the inside wear is very noticeable on the other one.
Basil the 1955 series II

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Have you run your hand both ways across the thread and both ways along its circumference? It just looks odd to me.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Yes.
They are a very strange pattern, but it's the significant wear on the inside of only 1 tyre that I find concerning.
I'm still deciding where to get new tyres from, but given the lack of experience tyre places will have with a Moggie, I don't want to go near one without knowing everything myself first. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I have looked at the pictures again and I think I can see the problem beginning on the nearside tyre as well.
If you look at the outside edge of the nearside tyre it has scrubbed slightly.
I would get your toe in/out checked before you waste money on tyres which may be damaged as a result of incorrect settings.
The toe in/out is checked via the ties rods which if the toe in/out is out of kilter will cause the damage to your tyres.
Camber "can" be changed via shims on the bolt that runs through the chassis, I cant say that's correct thought just it "can" be done.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Murrayminor wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:11 pm
I would get your toe in/out checked before you waste money on tyres which may be damaged as a result of incorrect settings.
That's why I'm asking now, before I get new tyres. :wink:

Thanks for the answers so far, all been useful.

Has anyone tried one of these? http://www.trackace.co.uk/index.html

They're available for about £73, which compared with around £50 for the Gunsons Trackrite doesn't seem so bad a deal.
As I see it, driving over the Gunsons thing is heavily influenced by being 100% square and in line with the tyre to start with...
Basil the 1955 series II