Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

2 stage extending bonnet stay

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Am I the only one to experience this but I've fitted three of these now and each time I've had to enlarge the holes for both the bonnet and bulkhead fixings and the locating holes for the spring plunger, so that it safely locks in place in either standard or extended positions.
Don't get me wrong, I still think this is an extremely useful item and I will continue to fit them and therefore spare my head (or flat caps :P ) from injury (that bonnet can be vicious! :wink: ) but these have been around a few years and I would have thought they would have got the holes the right size by now.

Is it just me or has no one thought to tell them yet (me included I know :roll: )......................
Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachments
DSCF3326(1).JPG
DSCF3326(1).JPG (739.06 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: 2 stage extending bonnet stay

Post by pgp001 »

No its not just you, I had to modify mine as well. I thought I had just got a Friday afternoon one. :D

Phil
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Me too. But it’s such a useful mod that I haven’t even thought about the slight fettling that was involved when fitting it. I actually made the pin slightly smaller rather than remove the paint, hopefully it’ll be a while before it starts rusting.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I always thought that the use of a broom handle was a good cheap improvement :D

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I bought mine from the original manufacturer some time ago. It went onto my '70 saloon without any fettling. I'm pleased with it.
Don
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Has anyone thought of advising the supplier/manufacturer?

Often these things are outsourced and if nobody tells them... well you get the idea. :wink:

Why is Mike in love with the BOLD button???
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

More a case of personal style / choice these days, if you want to be picky I always choose 'Itallic' as well.......... :wink:
It started because I wanted people to be able to easily read what I have written, my first few posts were not in bold and I noticed that we basically have a small thin greyish font on a grey background, not very distinctive at all, so I adopted 'bold itallic'.
And like I said above it has now become my signature style, for want of a better way of putting it, on here.
Oh, and look, this is in bold itallic too......................... :lol: 8)

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well I thought just asking about the bold was enough, no need to be picky.... :lol:

It does somewhat limit your options if you want to highlight something, but I suppose you can always change the colour.... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That’s interesting, I find the normal script easier, and the bold version more uncomfortable to read, especially with a long post, which seems to crowd out the page. i suppose it’s all about ones vision.

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

geoberni wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:48 am
I wondered that too, I thought it meant he was special.

But as Les says, I find the regular font easier to read on my phone.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the BOLD somewhat difficult to read when it's used for the entire posting..... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

C'est la vie................

It would be a dull old world if we were all the same................ :lol: 8)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You’re not wrong with that ! However your original desire to make what you write easier to read, may not be the case for some.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Personal choice and I would never stop it, but I find all bold more difficult to read. My own preference for font is always Times New Roman to help distinguish between things like Ls Is and 1s (ells, eyes and ones).
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

simmitc wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 am Personal choice and I would never stop it, but I find all bold more difficult to read. My own preference for font is always Times New Roman to help distinguish between things like Ls Is and 1s (ells, eyes and ones).
Yikes - bold and italics are one thing, but let’s not get into the serif versus sans serif debate, please!!!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I shot the serif but I did not shoot the sans serif. :D :roll:

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Nothing wrong with Romans but I'd steer well clear of the Ides of March if I were you............................ :wink:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well we're really way off topic here, but on the font subject back in the early 90s, the RAF/MoD changed over from Times New Roman to Arial for all official documents. We were told it was for several reasons, as diverse as easier to read for people with any visual impairments (and by that they included dyslexia due to letter recognition) to the increasing need at that time to send/save documents electronically, where fancy curly fonts were not so clear on subsequent viewing, particularly if something was sent by fax or photocopied.

There's a good Blog here that explains a lot about font use... https://www.designzzz.com/typography-ba ... ans-serif/
and the final comment is probably the most telling:
Google, Amazon, Youtube, Ebay, Yahoo and many other most popular websites in the world use only Arial or similar fonts such as Helvetica.

Why in the world are these insanely successful websites using probably the most boring font on earth???
It is because:
Arial is a system font. These websites save loading time.
Arial is one of the most neutral fonts ever. It does not have characteristics of its own. It is not bitter, nor sweet… it is like water.
Arial is familiar. People would find it friendly.
Arial is invisible. People are so used to of Arial that their whole attention is kept on the message, not the messenger.
Basil the 1955 series II