MESSAGE BOARD REPLACEMENT

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.

Moderator: Moderators

Are you in favour of replacing the messageboard with a more efficient and reliable replacement

Yes, definitely
21%
Yes, presuming it doesn't make it harder to use!
60%
No, I'd rather stay with this one
8%
I'm not overly bothered!
11%

Total votes: 97

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MESSAGE BOARD REPLACEMENT

Postby les » Tue May 07, 2019 4:42 pm

I wonder if technically you’re looking forward when looking at the rear view mirror. :D

burnham28
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Postby burnham28 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:10 am

please make it easier to post photos. I have given up trying to post photos from my Mac. I cannot get past the stage where the image is too big no matter what I try.
[img]jpg[/img]

geoberni
Minor Addict

Postby geoberni » Wed May 08, 2019 5:15 pm

burnham28 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:10 am
please make it easier to post photos. I have given up trying to post photos from my Mac. I cannot get past the stage where the image is too big no matter what I try.
For technical reasons, such as the amount of space they take up, slowing the pages down when loading, etc, many forums have a size limit on attachments, often around 1mB and most people these days take photos of 2-4 mB; I know I do.
I just resize them.

But at the moment, this forum is letting quite large ones load. This example of BMW Parking is 3.2mB.
20181124_122342.jpg
20181124_122342.jpg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 1241 times
What's annoying though is that in order for it to display correctly, I had to rotate it a full 360 degrees and save it before it would show the right way around....(in doing so, it became 1.8mB) :roll: :lol: :roll:
20181124_122342A.jpg
20181124_122342A.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 1241 times
Basil the 1955 series II

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Postby SteveClem » Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Once in a while I toy with the idea of getting a phone with a camera, then I think no,my wife loves doing things like that. No point in having a dog and doing your own barking :wink:

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Postby BrianHawley » Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 pm

geoberni wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:15 pm
burnham28 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:10 am
For technical reasons, such as the amount of space they take up, slowing the pages down when loading, etc, many forums have a size limit on attachments, often around 1mB and most people these days take photos of 2-4 mB; I know I do.
I just resize them.

But at the moment, this forum is letting quite large ones load. This example of BMW Parking is 3.2mB.
20181124_122342.jpg

What's annoying though is that in order for it to display correctly, I had to rotate it a full 360 degrees and save it before it would show the right way around....(in doing so, it became 1.8mB) :roll: :lol: :roll: 20181124_122342A.jpg
Hopefully the new board (if the decision is to have one) will automatically resize any large pictures that are uploaded, in the same way that Facebook does.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.

ndevans
Minor Addict

Postby ndevans » Thu May 09, 2019 7:09 am

Rmweb did a message board upgrade recently. It's had a few teething issues, but it's much better than the old one. Uploading photos is now much easier.
cheers N
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.

Tootall
Minor Friendly

Postby Tootall » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:01 pm

With any technology, I'm very much in the "Yes, presuming it doesn't make it harder to use!" camp...

Make my phone better and simpler.

Make my modern car better and more functional, while easier to drive.

Improve my Minor's slightly rustic behaviour, without losing its character.

That sort of thing...

That said, naturally, no-one actually sets out to make thing harder to use... it just sometimes turns out that way, thanks to the Law of Unintended Consequences.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi,
I assume this will happen, so no point in saying too much, however I'm not looking forward to all the usual teething trouble with new programs, like being unable upload photos from my PC 'as is', having to resize them to make them fit, etc., which we had to go through last time this site was 'updated'.........
I must say that I believe it is very important that we retain the historic posts, with easy and straight forward access to them, for reference though.

One plus would be being able to upload more than one signature picture, will that be possible?

Best wishes,
Mike.
(Still missing) Olwyn Image

irmscher
Minor Legend

Postby irmscher » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:15 am

When will this be taking place ?

PoolGuy
Minor Fan

Postby PoolGuy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:00 pm

If it does happen, is there a chance that it may cause problems such as lost posts? I encountered a problem yesterday that was explained by Phil. No point having a new forum if loads of useful info is lost.
philthehill wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:47 am
Ah ha - now all is clear.

Welshrat's link does indeed show No Input File Specified.

Therefore I suspect that the link was already old and has been removed during one of the tidy ups of the MMOC web site.

Even going the long way round and quoting the www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= draws a blank. I think that we can assume it had gone for ever.

Many of the links to older threads have been removed from the MMOC website which is a shame in many ways but life must go on. We are were we are.

Phil

geoberni
Minor Addict

Postby geoberni » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:17 pm

There's a lot of people of the opinion that the Board should only be replaced if there is a guarantee of X, Y and Z, particularly keeping old posts etc.

Only the Admins/Moderators will be able to tell the Version of this phpBB because it's on the Admin Control Panel but given the lack of facilities I suspect it's quite old.

Bottom line is that it is such an old and creaking Message Board, if it's not replaced soon the whole lot could likely be lost completely, lock, stock and barrel.
Basil the 1955 series II

irmscher
Minor Legend

Postby irmscher » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:43 am

And a decent server

ndevans
Minor Addict

Postby ndevans » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:59 pm

geoberni wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:17 pm
There's a lot of people of the opinion that the Board should only be replaced if there is a guarantee of X, Y and Z, particularly keeping old posts etc.

Only the Admins/Moderators will be able to tell the Version of this phpBB because it's on the Admin Control Panel but given the lack of facilities I suspect it's quite old.

Bottom line is that it is such an old and creaking Message Board, if it's not replaced soon the whole lot could likely be lost completely, lock, stock and barrel.
I agree, and the sooner the better. The older it gets, the more likely the risk of lost posts etc.
cheers N

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi everyone
We've taken steps to minimise any damage in the event of a No Deal Bre.... oh hang on, sorry, wrong conversation, lemme try again :D . 4
We've taken steps to minimise any damage in the event of a board failure, including creating a text only export which is bulletproof but has no images. We're also looking to creating a pdf version of the current board, but obviously it contains tens of thousands of posts so it's a not inconsiderable task in its own right.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster

ndevans
Minor Addict

Postby ndevans » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:27 am

RMWeb has done this at least twice. FWIU, the 1st time, they created a historical archive site, where old posts are kept but new posts can't be made. The second board was separate.
The second time they did it, about 4 months ago, the posts from the live board were migrated over to the new one. It all seemed to go smoothly.
cheers N

southerly95
Minor Fan

Postby southerly95 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:04 pm

There are issues to be addressed and I’ve commented before on password access and what appears to be the two ‘parts’ of the system. Whilst you may have ‘something in mind’ it would be good if a requirements list could be put together by members to act as a guide for officers. I’m not talking a full system specification and full blown procurement, but something a bit more than a wish list.

So for example, I would like all pics in the present system to be brought forward and accessible in the new system and the same goes for message board posts.
Also proposed is one login and password, no user names.

Thanks, John
[sig]4918[/sig]

geoberni
Minor Addict

Postby geoberni » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:38 pm

southerly95 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:04 pm
one login and password, no user names.

Thanks, John
Surely the 'login' is the Username...??
Basil the 1955 series II

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Postby StillGotMy1stCar » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 pm

AlekceuSl wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:22 pm
Dont panic my friend, usually this error happen after uninstalling an aircraft which was with saved flights, mainly the default one.

You can start FS anyway and delete those flight, after that every thing should be ok. Best of luck
Obviously :o

Comment from Mod. The post quoted and its author have been deleted for obvious reasons, but I rather liked the comment on it, so I've left it for others to appreciate.