Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mobylette
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

New Battery & Regulator Adjustment

Post by mobylette »

I have just had to fit a new battery, and I have heard that modern batteries should be charged at a lower voltage than the originals. If this is correct, can someone advise how to adjust the regulator to achieve this?

The new (Hankook) battery was covered in all sorts of stickers and logos and looked most out of place. I managed to peel them all off, and then downloaded an old "Exide" banner from the internet. I printed it off and stuck it on the battery. I know it's not right, but I think it looks better than before.
Attachments
IMG_20190907_170718177.jpg
IMG_20190907_170718177.jpg (131.3 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: New Battery & Regulator Adjustment

Post by King Kenny »

Not heard that before unless you mean charging off car. Some new batteries are sealed and cannot vent gasses in the same way as the older ones did. ie. gel batteries. High voltage chargers produce a lot of gas and old batteries had breather caps that could be removed to let excess gas escape. I use an ACCUMATE, It takes a while but it is safe.
PS. I like the look of your engine bay.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I think you're getting confused with newer 'Smart batteries' like AGM* which are fitted in cars with Stop/Start technology etc. You should have no concerns over a 'standard battery' for the likes of a Minor.

*Absorbent Glass Mat, Enhanced Flooded Battery, or other random initials depending on manufacturer.
Basil the 1955 series II

mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Thanks, but I was not confused. I have remembered where I read about this, it was on the Land Rover Series 2 forum. This was the post:

Batteries

"The new technology Lead/Calcium batteries are long-lived - come with 4 or 5 yr guarantees - if looked after.

Our best advice is to fit the biggest battery that will go in the space.
Generally battery types 069 and 072 are good for both petrol & diesel Series vehicles.

Just be aware that the dynamo/voltage regulator system was set for the traditional Lead/Acid batteries and charged them at 15.2 to 15.5 ish volts.
This is too much for today's batteries - they prefer 14.5 volts.
You'll need to adjust the voltage regulator accordingly.
Things will be OK to begin with, but eventually you run the risk of over charging the battery - but hey, with a 5 yr guarantee, who cares ???

If you have an alternator then there's no problem as they are all factory set to charge at 14.5 volts."
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

mobylette wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:32 pm Thanks, but I was not confused. I have remembered where I read about this, it was on the Land Rover Series 2 forum. This was the post:

Batteries

"The new technology Lead/Calcium batteries are long-lived - come with 4 or 5 yr guarantees - if looked after.

Our best advice is to fit the biggest battery that will go in the space.
Generally battery types 069 and 072 are good for both petrol & diesel Series vehicles.

Just be aware that the dynamo/voltage regulator system was set for the traditional Lead/Acid batteries and charged them at 15.2 to 15.5 ish volts.
This is too much for today's batteries - they prefer 14.5 volts.
You'll need to adjust the voltage regulator accordingly.
Things will be OK to begin with, but eventually you run the risk of over charging the battery - but hey, with a 5 yr guarantee, who cares ???

If you have an alternator then there's no problem as they are all factory set to charge at 14.5 volts."
OK, so not quite as 'high tech' as the ones I was thinking of, but still not a regular battery.

I don't know where this info on the Landy forum came from, but I understood Lead Calcium to require a higher voltage than a Lead Acid.
Despite the name, a Lead Calcium is still a lead acid Battery, but the Lead plates have Calcium added, instead of Antimony which used to be added.
If you search 'Charging Lead Calcium Battery' you'll find a fair bit of info, much of it 'Forum gossip' without reference material, so just opinion/folklore, but this site for instance says http://www.challengebatteries.com.au/battery-faq/
Calcium batteries require a higher charge voltage than conventional batteries. If used in a deep cycle situation it is advisable to use a charger designed for calcium batteries of has a calcium charging mode to get the maximum life out of the battery.
Basil the 1955 series II

mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Interesting, on the strength of that I am happy to leave things as they are. Thank you.

Regards your comment "not a regular battery", this Hankook lead/calcium battery was the very cheapest I could find(075 code, £55 delivered), so by definition I would have thought it should be described as regular?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

mobylette wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:18 pm Interesting, on the strength of that I am happy to leave things as they are. Thank you.

Regards your comment "not a regular battery", this Hankook lead/calcium battery was the very cheapest I could find(075 code, £55 delivered), so by definition I would have thought it should be described as regular?
You're right, a Lead/Calcium probably should be regarded as 'regular' insomuch as it's such old technology that you need to read the small print to find out what technology is being used. It's basically a lead acid, it's just a variant of such. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

You would not need to adjust the control unit unless it was over or under charging, and this would only be apparent after testing as a response to a fault.