A bit cheeky

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: A bit cheeky

Post by Sleeper »

" Oh, and one last thing, I think they should re-instate Empire Day as a bank holiday.............. now that will upset the politically correct 8) :lol: .......................

Best wishes,
Mike. "

... and bring back the mascot on the Robertsons jam-jars...

John :wink:
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

irmscher wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:10 am Most of the dealers in England are charging silly money what happened to the cheap working mans car :-?
Most dealers such as Charles Wares restoring cars have to make a profit to exist, they are not going to restore a car for the love of it, unlike the private owner......
The real question here is how much is a private owner who does not have the skills, tools or inclination to restore a car to a high level prepared to pay?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

£6 Million in front of my office a short while ago.

One of the guys working here can recall when they took the last ones out of the storage hangars and crushed them up. I guess we could all be rich if we could work out what will be desirable in 50 years.
Attachments
PM631-1920-5.jpg
PM631-1920-5.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1024 times
Cardiff, UK
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Beautiful!
The thought of them being sent for scrap and crushed makes me want to cry.
I think if I had been a Spitfire pilot and I'd survived the war then I would have tried to save mine and take it into my private ownership, I bet it wouldn't have cost me much back then.
Mind you wages were less than they are today.
But I'm sure an ex fighter pilot could have had a word with the 'right people' and wrangled something.... :wink:

Back on planet Earth of course ex pilots would have had other worries and responsibilities to concern them, in a world just emerging from such a destructive conflict. Even had they wanted to save their own Spit...............
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Sleeper wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:22 am ... and bring back the mascot on the Robertsons jam-jars...

John :wink:
You may recall that Robertsons also used to offer those mascots as painted plaster figurines playing various musical instruments. They have a degree of value as collectibles these days.

Some years ago I ran a stall at a weekly indoor antiques market. The woman who ran the stall opposite me (a rather politically-correct lesbian) obtained a collection of these figurines which she offered for sale on her stall... until the market management saw them and told her to remove them or pack up and leave altogether. Meantime, a more intimidating stall-holder went unchallenged regarding the Nazi military memorabilia that he regularly offered for sale.
1956 4-door called Max
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I seem to remember paper figures tucked behind the label and metal pin badges..

Was it the haircut that gave it away??

John :lol: