Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Car insurance when you die

Post by smithskids »

A friend of ours died recently and when his wife, who was the named other driver on his policy informed the insurance company he had died was told she couldn't drive the morris minor and was left high and dry for transport until she could get a new insurance. Friends saw she was ok and took her to all the places you have to go to when someone dies. If this is correct should you get the insurance in joint names or what?
Banned User
Minor Fan

Re: Car insurance when you die

Post by Banned User »

AFAIK you can’t get a joint policy.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As with PG, I do not believe it possible to get 'joint name' insurance, it's not like opening a bank account or getting a mortgage.
I would demand to see the clause in the Policy that says it ceases on the death of the holder, rather than the end of the term of the cover.

However having said that, if you look at the Money Advice Service https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... rtner-dies
they do say
Car insurance

If you’re a named driver on the car insurance policy, you need to check with the insurers if you’re still covered.

If not, you’ll need to get a new policy in place. Most policies terminate on the death of the main policy holder, and this will leave you uninsured.

You don’t have to use the same company. Shop around to find one that gives you the best deal.

Remember, car insurance is necessary if you wish to continue driving a car.

You run the risk of a large fine or even worse, if you drive without any insurance.
As I found this conundrum very interesting, I did some more searching and found this topic on the Money Saving Expert Forum
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sh ... ?t=5104162

This post is the most relevant:
Insurers deal with their policyholders day in day out.

The widow or a representative will typically call the Insurer who will often request a photocopy of the death certificate. Most Insurers will change the name of the policy holder to "The executor of the late Mr Bloggs". Also most Insurers will allow a period for the estate to deal with the car eg sell it or pass it to a family member. If the widow is a driver on the policy it is common for Insurers to transfer their name as the policyholder along with any accrued No claims Bonus.
Originally posted by dacouch

^^^^^ This.
My father died last year. My mother was a named driver. I was his executor. I spoke to the insurance company and they did exactly as dacouch describes.
Basil the 1955 series II

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Thanks folks, I will check with insurers.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Joint Car Insurance - certainly from 1968 to the end of the 70's we had a 'proper' joint insurance policy with Guardian Royal Exchange for the 2 cars that we owned at the time (i.e. the Minor and ANO various). Eventually we couldn't get it anymore with GRE, so went to 'normal' policies with each other as a named driver on the 'other's' policy, which is still the position today, plus our two children.
Richard

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Thanks folks, checked with Footman and they said if I died the named person on the policy could ring in and insurance would be changed over so she wouldn't be without transport.