Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Alloy Kick panels

Post by gtt1951 »

I have created this new thread from a posting that Moggy1098 made to another thread.
file.jpg
file.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 4853 times
moggy1098 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:12 pm Reference Alloy Kick Plates 2dr. we manufacture these alloy panels which we sell for £40 a pair inc vat & postage all in.

CHS144-5ALLY1.jpg
Wow!
As I have 2 early Series MM cars (one with corroding aluminium alloy kick panels - aluminium "rots" after a long time), I would need 2 sets.

Just to make sure - we are talkng about the sloped kick plates that go over the sills on the outer edges of the floor, that the doors close onto?

I suppose that my two Series II cars should also have these, but one of them is a 4-door.

How do I go about ordering some?

Regards, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
moggy1098
MMOC Member: No

Re: Alloy Kick panels

Post by moggy1098 »

YES I HAVE POSTED THEM ON EBAY Item: 163766981927
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Thanks Moggy & Phil, order placed.

G.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Are these intended to be painted, or just left bare alloy?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

They are to be left as bare alloy.
I have original ones (March 1951) on the black car in the signature picture and they are "bare".
Later ones were made from steel and were painted "silver", but most cars have them painted in "body colour" as the reason for "silver" had been forgotten.
My Traveller has them painted in body colour, but my grey 4-dr has them painted a non-glossy version of silver.
ESM also sell them in Stainless Steel.

Unfortunately, the original aluminium ones tend to oxidize and "rot" around the holes, due to the steel bolts in contact with them, as do the aluminium panels in contact with the wooden parts in a Traveller, being held in with steel wood screws - maybe I should change these for brass screws and bolts?

G.
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Does anybody know when the change over occurred.
My '52 has steel painted silver original to car
Regards
Brianr

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

gtt1951 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:43 am They are to be left as bare alloy.
I have original ones (March 1951) on the black car in the signature picture and they are "bare".
Later ones were made from steel and were painted "silver", but most cars have them painted in "body colour" as the reason for "silver" had been forgotten.
My Traveller has them painted in body colour, but my grey 4-dr has them painted a non-glossy version of silver.
ESM also sell them in Stainless Steel.

Unfortunately, the original aluminium ones tend to oxidize and "rot" around the holes, due to the steel bolts in contact with them, as do the aluminium panels in contact with the wooden parts in a Traveller, being held in with steel wood screws - maybe I should change these for brass screws and bolts?

G.
My 1970 Traveller has always had the sill panels painted Trafalgar blue for as long as I can remember we've had the car (since 1984). What is the reason for silver on these?

Do they not make any aluminium or stainless steel screws that could be used to attach them, to prevent corrosion?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I suppose it is easier for people when carrying out paintwork repairs to paint everything the same paint colour. However, all the cars left the factory with silver coloured kick panels. The silver paint was used to most closely resemble the aluminium of the earliest cars - and it was easier to paint all the kick panels in the same colour rather than paint them in different colours for each car. The silver paint is rather like silver hammerite, having a slightly mottled finish.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Sorry, but just to ensure there is no confusion here , are we saying that these plates were standard fit over the door sill on all Minors?
Bolted on?

Why do I get a feeling that Basil has them welded in place :o by the utterly inept moron who restored him years ago......
20191114_160256.jpg
20191114_160256.jpg (786 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
20191114_160309.jpg
20191114_160309.jpg (738.65 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
It's like the Torsion Bar adjustment fiasco I posted a few months ago.... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70626&hilit=torsion+bar#p642079
They must've made their own plates to go over the sills..... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The sill rail and the kick panel should both be bolted on (and just a few self tapping screws along the top of each kick panel) so that they can be removed easily. They are only decorative really.
Looking at your photos it appears that your car has had some extra panels welded on beneath the original undersill/floor edge panels as well and that these have also been welded to the jacking points. It would be a big job to rectify so probably best left alone for now if it is sound enough. Makes it difficult to carry out any rust prevention if you cannot access the inner sill/boxing panel area though. The sort of repairs carried out to your car were very common years ago when Minors were just inexpensive "bangers" to be got through the MOT test as cheaply as possible. Also, we mustn't forget that for many years it simply wasn't possible to purchase the range of proper repair panels available now! We Morris Minor owners are extremely fortunate in this respect :) You could buy very few repair panels for them when I first owned one and most were of terrible quality and fit :o
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Hi, this should be made up of 2 pieces of metal and not the one you have.
The parts are
(1) sloped kick plate
(2) sill/cill finisher.
IMG_20191114_172657.jpg
IMG_20191114_172657.jpg (991.59 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
The shiny part is the original aluminium kick plate, the black part is the finisher, which would be body coloured.
Now for what my passenger side kick plate looked like when I last removed it
Outer view -
IMAG1458.jpg
IMAG1458.jpg (728.88 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
Inner view -
IMAG1459.jpg
IMAG1459.jpg (836.1 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
You can see the erosion around the holes.

I have received my new alloy ones from Andy Eggleton and they are very good. The bolt holes have been made elliptical to accommodate any fitting variation. The fold-over part has been pre-drill, but some kick plates don't have any holes and just sit down on the carpeted edge.
I've compared the new aluminium alloy ones with some spare steel ones I bought a while ago and the shape, size and curve marry up very well (except the new ones are so much lighter).
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thanks ManyMinors
Perhaps I'm being a little unfair to the restorer... as far as I can tell, it was late 90s when Basil was 'restored', and I of course have no idea what the panels situation was some 20 odd years ago.
For all I know, that particular aspect might have been done even further back because I only have a few random documents relating to being off the road for a couple of years, the engine records change and the doors being replaced.
But at least I am now aware of yet another unique aspect of Basil.
I think I might haver to drill an inspection hole in the sill, that I can feed a camera into and on the assumption that all is OK, give it a good waxoyl coating and then fit a bung.
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

"...on the assumption that all is OK, give it a good waxoyl coating and then fit a bung."
Before fitting a bung, make sure the drain holes underneath are present and unclogged.........
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Still got the original alloy plates on HFH200. They appear to be an ALCLAD material, possibly 2024 grade alloy. This is a structural alloy sheet that can be formed and has a pure aluminium coating applied to act as a sacrificial surface. If it gets scratched (or over-polished) then the surface coating gaps allow the material underneath to corrode faster. Not aware what material they are using on the new ones. Any ideas?
Cardiff, UK
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:46 pm "...on the assumption that all is OK, give it a good waxoyl coating and then fit a bung."
Before fitting a bung, make sure the drain holes underneath are present and unclogged.........
I need to see if there are any drain holes.
I'm not convinced that Basil hasn't been rebuilt with entirely boxed in sills.
I have a lot of work ahead in the winter. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

moggy1098

Post by moggy1098 »

Andrew Eggleton also make's the kick plates & sills in Stainless Steel which are all pre-drilled as on ebay item Item: 163927597013

£96 a set inc vat & free uk postage , he sells loads and great quality
Attachments
chs144ss.jpg
chs144ss.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
chs142ss.jpg
chs142ss.jpg (23.66 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Hello Moggy1098,
For neater picture attachments, type your text then, at the bottom of the frame, select "Attachments", then click on the "Add Files" box.
Upload the image file (one at a time with a max of 5 per post), then place your cursor within the text you typed, where you want the image to go, then go back to the bottom of the frame, look at the line with the file attachment and select "place in line".
This will add the image without the white-bordered "attachment" box/frame.

Hope this helps,

George.