Cheap winter car

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Cheap winter car

Post by SteveClem »

So I sold my old Landy and made a few quid, but not too keen on taking the old girls out on these salty roads.
I’ve just bought a 2010 Tiguan 4motion Summit for £4,500. Starship mileage but looks and drives beautifully with a great history and new injectors and turbo in the last year.
My first experiment with ‘bangernomics’. Fingers crossed :lol:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Cheap winter car

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I like proper Landrovers (pre BMW) and think there should always be room on the road for them..........
However I have to say my experience of 4X4 drivers / drivers of large people carriers, which seem to be all the rage these days, is that they are all vying for command of the 'we own the road, so get out our way' club.
Therefore I hope you are not going to become one of them with your latest acquisition.................
The very fact that ownership of these things seems to be multiplying faster than Rabbits can breed has led me to the conclusion that I am now firmly in the camp of those that subscribe to the attitude that these things are completely unnecessary and ownership should be restricted to those who can actually justify owning a vehicle of this size / type. ie: farmers etc.
If there is a petition for such and I see it I will be signing it.
So whilst I wish you good luck with your 'bangernomics' I also can't help wishing you and others would loose your obsession with these things and buy something else.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

I think you're really out of order with that post. There's no need for that here, no matter what you think of 4x4 vehicles and their drivers.
jagnut66 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:52 pm Hi,
I like proper Landrovers (pre BMW) and think there should always be room on the road for them..........
However I have to say my experience of 4X4 drivers / drivers of large people carriers, which seem to be all the rage these days, is that they are all vying for command of the 'we own the road, so get out our way' club.
Therefore I hope you are not going to become one of them with your latest acquisition.................
The very fact that ownership of these things seems to be multiplying faster than Rabbits can breed has led me to the conclusion that I am now firmly in the camp of those that subscribe to the attitude that these things are completely unnecessary and ownership should be restricted to those who can actually justify owning a vehicle of this size / type. ie: farmers etc.
If there is a petition for such and I see it I will be signing it.
So whilst I wish you good luck with your 'bangernomics' I also can't help wishing you and others would loose your obsession with these things and buy something else.
Best wishes,
Mike.
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Bangernomics - £4500!

Alan
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I think you're really out of order with that post
Not out of order at all.
Simply expressing an opinion, based on the original post and my experience of the people who (in general) drive these types of vehicle.

If you had read it properly I did say that I hoped he wasn't going to become one.

Other than that I stand by what I said. I know from speaking to people I know that I am not the only one who has been left with this opinion.

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It’s only a Golf with a higher driving position really. Easy to get in and out of when you’ve got dodgy knees. Pretty economical on fuel too.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I must admit that by "Cheap Winter Car", I thought you meant you'd just purchased an old Nissan Micra for a couple of hundred pounds.
Last edited by ManyMinors on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

One mans cheap....

John :wink:
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It’s £2k below book price, so I think that’s ok.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:40 am
Not out of order at all.
Simply expressing an opinion, based on the original post and my experience of the people who (in general) drive these types of vehicle.

If you had read it properly I did say that I hoped he wasn't going to become one.

Other than that I stand by what I said. I know from speaking to people I know that I am not the only one who has been left with this opinion.

Best wishes,
Mike.
I read it perfectly thank you. It was this bit that I found totally unnecessary, not the bit that you obviously felt awkward about. :wink:
jagnut66 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:52 pmI also can't help wishing you and others would loose your obsession with these things and buy something else.
For heavens sake, he's moved from a LR to a VW 4x4, I don't think he's going to turn into a member of the "get out of my way club" overnight.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I am the archetypal old fart driver! Just wanted something with easy access that is ‘well planted’ on these hilly windy roads around here. The higher driving position clinched it compared to a standard saloon.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The Tiguan isn't a vast vehicle and has reasonable running costs. It can't really be included among the large list of huge, selfish unnecessary
4WD vehicles which are hated by many and driven by large numbers now. It'll be a much better drive than a Land Rover and should be a good choice for your needs. I'm just doubtful that owning one comes under the umbrella of "bangernomics" :wink:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Years ago, when the roads were less crowded, the Transit was the largest thing on the road, apart from a few lorries, of course. Now with crowded roads, we have larger vehicles. :-?

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:31 pm The Tiguan isn't a vast vehicle and has reasonable running costs. It can't really be included among the large list of huge, selfish unnecessary
4WD vehicles which are hated by many and driven by large numbers now. It'll be a much better drive than a Land Rover and should be a good choice for your needs. I'm just doubtful that owning one comes under the umbrella of "bangernomics" :wink:
Probably should have been more selective with my words with hindsight! Just never bought such an old modern car with 137,000 on the clock. Apart from the Landy, but that had a recon RV8 in it. I started to find it really hard to get in and out and was glad it went to an enthusiast. We don’t really own classic
cars, we look after them for the next enthusiast. I’m really not sure how long i’ll be able to use the minors, beetle and a30. Love them to bits but they need driving more than I can do these days. Bugger..
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I wasn't aware that Winter was much different from Summer, aside from longer nights :wink: . I work in the cycle trade and the "Winter" bike is often referred to, which generally means something (Usually unsuitable for purpose) relegated, that they can't be bothered to maintain. I have never subscribed to that and evening when I rode competitively, took the view that you have a training bike, equipped with a full set of mudguards (Like the bikes I generally commute on these days) and one for racing (Or more depending on whether you enter different types of event). Relegating race bikes, eventually to Winter bikes, isn't a good idea (I won't go further off topic as to why) but stems from the fact that vanity is the most popular hobby in the UK (If not the world; I don't know) and cycling is just one way it manifests itself.

Vanity probably explains why drivers of certain types of vehicle display such arrogance when they get behind the wheel. If they are in some kind of overpriced, handbag on wheels (Whether paid for is their secret), they have to show how superior they are relative to others. Oddly enough, as I was about to turn right (Signalling quite clearly and correctly) on my way home on Saturday, someone in a VW SUV tried to overtake me on the right; the result was horn from them and two fingers from me (Pity they hadn't stopped :wink: ).

As to bangernomics, I think it's an increasingly risky business. With all new cars now being full of expensive electronics, they all have the potential for costly breakdowns and being written of as uneconomic to repair, when getting on a bit. We don't have so many scrapyards locally, as was once the case but I have noticed that stock, in scrapyards, is now relatively newer than say 30 years ago and instead of the rusted out Cortina, now we have the sound looking modern, where the ECU or dual mass flywheel has gone and replacement is more than the value of the car. In my first ten years of motoring I ran Minis (The Midget came between my first and second Minis), starting with an 8 year old one and finishing up with a new one. All were cheap and simple to work on and well suited to someone on a budget. The people, who do my MOTs, run a business selling nearly new cars (Generally with makers warranty) and they simply hope to get by until they retire, as they see the second hand car trade becoming a thing of the past. They see large retailers selling new cars, with long warranties (7 years was mentioned). Once the warranty is up and something big goes, you will buy a new car and (Just like the old fridge) the seller will dispose of the old one.

I'm lucky that I have never faced a long daily commute and for the most part, I have cycled to work for years. I think, if I had to drive daily, I'd perhaps have a Minor two door saloon (If I had room maybe a spare one too) and keep that going. I'd consider another Mini, though I think the Minor is a bit more durable. As to the Land Rover Series and Defenders, if I had the room, I'd have one (And a Brian James trailer)! A great vehicle, that does just what it says on the tin. I think a Series Three, with overdrive, would be an ideal mix of competence and simplicity; ideal for moving cars when needed. It's a proper 4WD, not some jacked up handbag, that has all the disadvantages of a high ground clearance, without the advantages.

When convenient, I use the bus and IF I get a pass in 5 1/2 years time, I will probably make more use of it.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The trouble with a Land rover is the more you use it the more it rots and breaks after owning five I have vowed never again . :lol:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:40 am
Not out of order at all.

Best wishes,
Mike.
I tend to agree with Jagnut, although, I think it's mainly modern driver's are increasingly getting angrier, a new flashy car being overtaken by an old van & you can picture the steam come out of their ears!

Does "coasting" save fuel, always travel down Crickley hill out of stick?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

As I thought I'd said, I wasn't objecting to Jagnut (ironic user name ignored) attacking 4x4 bullies. I was objecting to him attacking a fellow member, I don't expect that Steve will turn into a 4x4 bully just because he traded in his old 4x4 for a newer 4x4.
jagnut66 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:52 pm I also can't help wishing you and others would loose your obsession with these things and buy something else.
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I was objecting to him attacking a fellow member
Firstly, I wasn't attacking a fellow member, merely criticising his choice and expressing an opinion, which I believe I am still entitled to do in this country, so I object to your comment here!
Jagnut (ironic user name ignored)
Secondly, Jagnut refers to my original classic love the Jaguar Mk 2, of which I have been fortunate enough to own two of, back in the days when they were more reasonably priced.
Why is a personal choice of username ironic??
It is beginning to seem as if I am the one under attack here........

Best wishes,
Mike.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Ok, we’ll have to agree to differ.

I’ll keep my opinions to myself in future.