Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jamiet
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

HS2 Gasket question

Post by Jamiet »

Hello
I am in the process of fixing a fouled up carb on my 1098 66 Moggy. I note most of the kits seem to include more than one of the gaskets that go between the carb and the inlet manifold? Anyone know why there are two identical gaskets?
Also while I am here I see there are some who object to the fitting of a fuel filter. Trying to understand why that may be a bad thing?
Thanks as always for any replies BTW happy new year!
Cheers
Jamie
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: HS2 Gasket question

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Jamie,
Without a picture of the gaskets in question I can only assume you are talking about the gaskets that go between the carb and the spacer block that packs it out, distancing it away from the exhaust / inlet manifold.
Basically: Carb, gasket, spacer block, gasket, manifold.
Are you missing this black coloured spacing block?

The usefulness of fuel filters between the pump and the carb has been disputed on here for ages, some people prefer to fit them, some people say they are a waste of time and money.
I've run Moggies with them and without them.
They will catch sediment before it gets to the carb but my thought would be that, if you want to fit one, surely it would be better to interrupt the feed before it reaches the fuel pump and therefore protect both.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Added filtration is no bad thing in itself but they are sometimes affected by heat leading to vapourisation. If you want one fit as far from the manifold as practicable.
Jamiet
Minor Friendly

Post by Jamiet »

Thank you both very helpful indeed. I now see why the other gasket, i also have the spacer as discussed.
I am going to fit the filter on the inner wing so it will be as far as possible from the hot bits.
Cheers
Jamie
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Fuel vapourisation has been mentioned by some as a strike against an in-line filter but opinions vary. I have never had a problem with one although, if the filter in the pump is sound (they sometimes split), then that should suffice in itself.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

There is already a filter in the base of the pump, it's secured by a large hex head. On early cars there is a thimble shaped filter on the input to the float bowl. You will never need a fuel filter. If the petrol tank has rust inside it is finished.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

myoldjalopy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:16 pm Fuel vapourisation has been mentioned by some as a strike against an in-line filter but opinions vary. I have never had a problem with one although, if the filter in the pump is sound (they sometimes split), then that should suffice in itself.
Quite right, you beat me to it.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

In principle a fuel filter is a good idea, with irregular use many tanks will have a degree of corrosion from condensation while still being perfectly functional and it's not unheard of fuel to be contaminated or debris to enter through the filler neck.
There a a couple of problems though, if you fit a filter prior to the pump there is a good chance it won't work, the air in the filter acting like a resonator and preventing fuel from being drawn up. In theory it should work fine between the pump and carb but I have just had a problem with the carb flooding which seems to be due to the extra volume of fuel / air in the line so this doesen't seem perfect either, a better quality filter which doesen't trap air may have helped, I am planning on trying mallipassi filter king which also limits the pressure.
So I would conclude there is no definitive answer it will depend on the condition of your fuel system and how you use it.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Anyone placing a relatively large volume of fuel which can gravitate to the carburettor is, frankly, asking for trouble.

Any filter will create a pressure drop. Reducing the design pressure at the carburettor is not likely to enhance the operation and may do the opposite.

Against that, some fuel pumps fitted may provide fuel at a different pressure. Common sense - taking all factors into consideration is good. Not everyone has that ability. If you haven’t, leave the system as designed unless you are prepared to make your own experimental trials and possible failures.
Jamiet
Minor Friendly

Post by Jamiet »

Well after stripping and rebuilding the carb and then fitting a glass fuel filter with gates hose from Car Builder Solutions all is now hunky dory. Don’t think I will be replacing the fuel tank just yet although It would be nice. Can highly recommend a tin of carb cleaner by the way. It’s the dogs danglies.