Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

British bahn-stormers - watch this!

Post by Oldmogman »

Came across this brilliant Pathe newsreel of BMC's testing of the Minor and its stablemates along the German autobahns in the 1950s, covering 25,000 miles at 60mph-plus over several days on not-so-smooth roads, in a bid to destroy the newly developed lead indium bearings.

Great footage of two Minors, an A35 and an A50 sweeping past Beetles and the like, along near-empty roads, with narrative in that classic received pronunciation style of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuwTWujeMM0

Enjoy!
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Re: British bahn-stormers - watch this!

Post by Blaketon »

I had a VHS tape from MMOC shop, which includes that, plus the 10000 mile non stop test at Goodwood, some MMs traversing the Alaska highway and sundry marketing films. I saw the same item is now out on DVD.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Good video :)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I had a VHS tape from MMOC shop, which includes that, plus the 10000 mile non stop test at Goodwood, some MMs traversing the Alaska highway and sundry marketing films. I saw the same item is now out on DVD.
Hi,
Do you have a link to one for sale, so I can get hold of a copy (DVD version)?
Many thanks,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

An excellent "My-Dad-Had-One" moment.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

VHS - I have still got my VHS player as I have several professional VHS videos of my Minor in action competing in speed hill-climbs and sprints and also lots of motorsport videos.

I note that music cassettes are making a comeback 8)

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Yes Phil, I saw that too - gramophone cylinders next maybe?
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

philthehill wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:05 pm VHS - I have still got my VHS player as I have several professional VHS videos of my Minor in action competing in speed hill-climbs and sprints and also lots of motorsport videos.

I note that music cassettes are making a comeback 8)
I still have quite a bit on VHS, including some of my driving the Midget and then the Jedi. The film people were KL Video and they were from just outside Abergavenny. I had a little camera myself, that I have used to record drives in the car (Not competitive) but that can be used to make DVD. Can be nice to watch when it's p**ing down in Aug....I mean December. I've not used it for a long time but this is a still taken from it.
Attachments
Midget 28 9 11.jpg
Midget 28 9 11.jpg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

We’ve got lots of old vhs stuff of the kids when they were little. Must do something sensible with it. It never got edited in the day.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

This is it - https://www.mmoc.org.uk/Shop/DVD-The-Be ... rris-Minor .
Thanks for this Blaketon.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

If you still have a vhs player you can get a gizmo for converting them to your computer off the internet .Take off the cover of the vhs player and clean heads and spools etc to remove any contamination .Depending on condition of tapes you may find they have mould ,if you look on internet you can see how to clean tapes. When you have converted them you can edit them with the programme that comes with the converter, then you will find that the amount you have left is less than you started with ,unless they are already edited.We all had a great laugh when we watched our videos when our kids were small . If you dont have a vhs player you might be able to get one from a charity shop or an older relation.

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

If you dont have a vhs player you might be able to get one from a charity shop or an older relation.
If my boys are reading this...…..which they won't be...…..sadly, I've just realised that I am that 'older relation' as I've still got a VHS recorder/player. :D

And before anyone asks, no, I don't have either a Betamax or Philips 2000 jobbie. :D

Any chance of a link to or more info about the gizmo of which you speak, Ian?

Thanks,
Alan
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

video-2-pc.co.uk is the link i used to buy my adapter.Comes with good instructions to connect to pc. For cleaning vhs recorder, there was a youtube site I used for player cleaning , I put in cleaning vhs recorder and lots of sites popped up I chose one, unless you have a cleaning tape . For cleaning your tapes, again i put in cleaning vhs tapes and again chose one.
I am also of the older generation so had a vhs player tucked away in a corner .I think there also was a combined vhs and dvd player where you could record directly from tape to disc, but I could be having a senior moment. :D
P.S. I would stay away from trying to clean up the video as i found it made the picture less clear . Remember to save each tape to a file then copy it and use that for editing , and at least you will always have the master recording if you mess up the editing

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Found! Thanks for the link and your advice, Ian. I think I'm going to give that a whirl.

Cheers,
Alan
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

your welcome

Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

Nice old film which I had seen a while ago already. Tests on the Stuttgart-München stretch and Stuttgart-Heilbronn it says. Stuttgart is known these days as Germany's largest car park and is the place to avoid if you can. The original Autobahnen were nearly always concrete sections with expansion joints and hence the clonk-clonk noise of the wheels as you drive along. Nowadays more modern construction methods replace the old concrete expansion joint technology, if used at all.

Nice to see "proper" LHD cars as well ! :lol:
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]