no brake pressure

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
T1mmo
MMOC Member: No

no brake pressure

Post by T1mmo »

Hello to all.this is my first post. About 18 months ago I started looking for a morris 1000 van, eventually found a non runner, which I liked, and bought it. its a 1970, and its redeeming qualities were the type 9 gearbox, sierra front brakes and 1275 engine. After a lot of work got it running, connected gearbox hydraulics, repaired the wiring loom, so it starts and runs, but brakes have turned into a real pain.
I have fitted new master cylinder, servo, new rear cylinders, front pistons and seals, brake pipes etc,( master cylinder has had rear seal removed), but I still have to pump the brakes to get any pressure. There are no leaks, and no air in the system,and still no brakes.
I have bled the brakes countless times and still zero.I have read many posts on the forum,and have tried some of the advice given, but I am running out of ideas.Why, after pumping the pedal maybe 10 or 12 times is there pressure on the pedal,but take your foot off and then reapply, and the pedal goes to the floor?
It has a remote reservoir,should the master cylinder be full, or should there be an air gap?
The disc pads are new, as are the discs, meaning the major part of the piston is inside the caliper, would this make any difference?
If there is somebody who could offer some sound advice it will be much appreciated, and before any one suggests it, yes I have tried wedging the pedal down over night and it has not worked.
So I have a great looking van that serves no practical purpose at the moment,next stop, the most expensive chicken coup in wales!
Look forward to your advice.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: no brake pressure

Post by simmitc »

Welcome, we'll look forward to seeing the van in due course, but in the meantime, once you have pumped it and got pressure, can you hold the pedal down and it remains firm with no creep whatsoever?

It's easy to say no air in the system, but symptoms could suggest otherwise.

With the remote reservoir, the master cylinder should have a new cap that does not have an air vent, and the reservoir in the master cylinder would be expected to remain full as it is fed from above by the remote reservoir.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

First thing is, did you adjust the rear brakes? if so, did you slacken the handbrake cables first? If you did, you could try lightly clamping the rear brake hose and then testing the peddle, this will tell you if your problem is the front or the back.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

It wouldn’t be the first time that bleed screws and brake pipes have been fitted to calipers the wrong way round. If so, you do have air in the system.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

oliver90owner wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:43 pm It wouldn’t be the first time that bleed screws and brake pipes have been fitted to calipers the wrong way round. If so, you do have air in the system.
It would be difficult to do with the Ford calipers, I doubt that the brake hose would reach without some serious stretching being evident.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

Have you changed all thr flexis?

It does sound like air or a faulty master cylinder.

I always find you get a bit of air trapped under the brake switch but this would not have this impact.