Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Advice Needed Please

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

I wonder if someone could give me some advice .
I park Audrey my 1967 Morris saloon in a garage during the week and get her and bring her over to my house usually at the weekend.When I went the other day there seems to be something quiet a large patch of something underneath.
I know old cars do leak oil but whenever I go to check the stick it’s always the same .
It doesn’t seem to every need filling so if it’s not engine oil what else might it be.
I’ve got a servo fitted with a filler in the engine compartment but again it very rarely needs filling.
I don’t do much mileage especially at this time of year and I’m not much of a mechanic I’m afraid.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Steve
Attachments
B374D2A5-19D8-4A4B-B264-89C08A910E57.jpeg
B374D2A5-19D8-4A4B-B264-89C08A910E57.jpeg (599.69 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Advice Needed Please

Post by philthehill »

If it not the engine oil it could be:-

1. The gearbox oil - rear seal.

2. The rear axle - diff seal.

3. Brake fluid.

When the car is parked where in relation to the underside of the car is the pool of fluid?

Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

It seems to be fairly near the front just behind the radiator.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Has the car been used in the rain? Sometimes water gets into the chassis legs and drains out later, possiblt contaminated by general crud. Are there any rust stains around the engine bay - possibly the bypass hose is starting to leak.

What sort of fluid does it look like? A pciture of the fluid in relation to where the car was parked, plus a close-up of the fluid with a ruler for scale would both be useful. From the position ou describe, I would suspect the seal in the timing chain cover might be leaking oil, but that does tend to be just a drip.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’ve tasted unknown leaks to help identify. Although I suppose you have got to know what tastes of what, antifreeze is quite bitter, oil is pretty well recognised by looking, I can’t describe brake fluid. You could always have a selection of control items to compare. :D I’d better say, to cover myself, you don’t actually have to make a meal of it ! :o

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

old cars don't leak any more than moderns,have you check the level of water in the radiator.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thanks for the reply.

The below are possible contenders for coolant leakage :-

1. The bypass hose

2. The cylinder head bypass hose spigot/adapter.

3. The water pump bypass hose spigot/adapter.

4. Water pump spindle seal leaking.

Below is a picture of the bypass hose head spigot/adapter. The spigot/adapter can rust way leading to leaks. The one in the photo below I replaced as the original one was rusted away.
by-pass adapter.JPG
by-pass adapter.JPG (640.24 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/cooli ... ad-p829613

Bull Motif sold a bypass stub with a hexagon which made screwing the tube into and out of the head much easier. ESM took over all of Bull Motif spares and they may have some available even though not listed.

Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Hi All
Here is a picture taken this morning after Audrey had been sat all night.
84737B38-B228-4780-9BEB-51899B25ACEE.jpeg
84737B38-B228-4780-9BEB-51899B25ACEE.jpeg (124.74 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

les wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:10 pm I’ve tasted unknown leaks to help identify. Although I suppose you have got to know what tastes of what, antifreeze is quite bitter, oil is pretty well recognised by looking, I can’t describe brake fluid. You could always have a selection of control items to compare. :D I’d better say, to cover myself, you don’t actually have to make a meal of it ! :o
Not too sure about this for an idea. Where I used to live any strange parked cars attracted the neighbour’s dog who would then mark his territory.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thank you for posting the picture.

As you are not loosing any oil (and that is some patch of liquid) the only other liquid at the front of the car is coolant. I suspect that the liquid is coolant as where it has dried it has left a rust residue.

You do need to check the coolant level. Top up if required and keep an eye on the coolant level.
If it goes down then investigate those items I have listed above.

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I notice on a different thread that you have had problems with your screen washer system, if you check the coolant level and its still full, where is your washer bottle?
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Place a plastic ‘catcher’ of some description under the car. The liquid leaking can then be checked more easily.

Catcher could be a simple sheet or several plastic tubs positioned appropriately.
Jaywhy
Minor Friendly

Post by Jaywhy »

If oil could be pushrod cover gaskets, rocker box gasket or timing chain oil seal. After a run mine will often drip small spot of oil from the timing chain oil seal
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Its quite a leak. When the car is parked up, have a look periodically to see where it is dripping from, then place a container underneath to catch it. Later there should be enough in the container to identify it as either oil or coolant. That is the first step. It is not much use guessing. Phil already suspects coolant so this needs to be confirmed or otherwise.
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

When she goes back in the garage this week I will put some containers underneath and check when I next go back.Will report back when I’ve discovered what it is.I think the car sat for several years until I bought her 2 years ago. Several items have had to be changed due to items not been used etc.
Many thanks for all advice .
Steve
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I used to get a similar leak from the front of my Austin 7 now and again.
It was fine once warmed up and everything had expanded, the leak was not there. But once it all cooled down again the leak re-appeared.
It turned out to be a simple fix as the bottom hose had gone a bit hard and the jubilee clip needed an extra nip up. Once a new flexible hose was fitted all was well again.

Phil
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Can be anything. Just needs checking first.

Even water pumps which seal while running may leak slightly, while still under pressure when stopped.

First find the fluid type, then concentrate on that particular system. It’s called basic diagnosis to reduce the area/systems under scrutiny. Same as deciding if one has a fuel or ignition fault - you first check for a spark at the plugs.
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

I had a strange pool of oil under the car before which I couldn't find an obvious reason for, it turned out a steering rack gaiter had split and let all the oil out. Although that shouldn't be as far forward as you have described?
Doubt it's brake fluid as you'd find that out pretty quick!