Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Reconditioned Box - Jumping out of gear

Post by CaliTrav »

So having recently fitted a reconditioned gearbox, I had the first 'normal' test run yesterday.

The new box jumped out of third under power and on overrun within a few minutes, so something not right. 1st, 2nd and 4th seemed ok. Given the box is reconditioned (from a reputable company) I'm not convinced the box is at fault, although it could be.

One thing that did cause us to scratch heads when reassembling was that the gear selector lever would in no way fit into the hole with the plastic selector/spring there as well - unfortunately as I bought new parts for that, I didn't check the old gearbox had them before sending it off in exchange as I didn't need them.

The lever was eventually teased in without them and is selecting normally, no crunches etc. But doesn't seem to want to stay in 3rd. I have read somewhere that 998cc levers are too short and don't select 3rd properly in a 1098cc box - would those levers also not allow the cup/spring arrangement to fit? I'm thinking that's most probably where the problem lies, unless anyone can suggest other common issues I should inspect?
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Re: Reconditioned Box - Jumping out of gear

Post by CaliTrav »

Haven't really gotten any further with this, but updates for what use they may be to other forum members...

The travel on another minor gearstick (between 3rd and 4th) was roughly 21cm. I could only get that 21cm between 1st and 2nd - 3rd to 4th was more like 18cm on mine. Having said that, the selector was well back in the housing (see photo) so not sure that distance is necessarily a problem. It also isn't being impeded by the gaitor or plate etc. It is also definitely a 1098 stick.

Would have thought that vibration would cause issues with every gear but have double checked all the rubbers, mounts etc to eliminate it as much as possible.

The company who did the box are sending a replacement FOC but I'd like to rule out any possibility of it being 'user error' before swapping them to potentially find the same issue..!

Is there any way it could be related to the clutch, which was also replaced?
20200326_185820.jpg
20200326_185820.jpg (4.04 MiB) Viewed 1735 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have to say that the remote pictured is in a bit of a mess to say the least. Are those metal filings inside the housing?

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Just to clarify:
Did you swap boxes like for like, or did you change the type of box?
What type of engine is it mated to?
Are you using the same gear lever as originally?
Was the previous box OK - why did you swap it?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you look carefully, ie magnify, ( I don’t think I’m seeing things) the area that looks like filings has a curve at the top, that matches the selector shape, possibly caused by it hitting and hindering its travel, when pulled back, maybe the problem?

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Looks like strands of copper wire!
GB Selector.JPG
GB Selector.JPG (156.38 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Basil the 1955 series II

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

IMHO. What it does not look like is "re-conditioned"

Phil
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

One of the commonest causes of a gearbox jumping out of 3rd or 4th gear is a worn selector fork.
To the best of my knowledge, new ones are not available.
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

pgp001 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:09 am IMHO. What it does not look like is "re-conditioned"

Phil
Maybe the actual gearbox itself was, but the remote extension wasn't - or the owner used one off his original gearbox or a spare of dubious origin...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

All things are possible but a reputable company would consider the extension as part of the gearbox, which it is. Making it more confusing as to why it’s in such a state. I still thing that mass at the bottom right is restricting the movement, at the very least it shouldn’t be there.

CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Thanks all for the replies.

I hadn't really thought about the condition of the inside of the box - it's the first one I've looked at.

The company to their credit were very apologetic and are sending another box for me to fit, it's just the ball ache of actually getting it out to do it. Maybe I could charge them labour? 8)

Not sure if this points to anything particular but on further testing it's happy in 3rd on the overrun - it's only under power it jumps out.

Re. other questions above -

1098 gearbox mated to 1098 engine, like for like swap. Same gearstick but also purchased another to make doubly sure it wasn't the stick at fault. Old gearbox was 'ok' - sloppy gear change though which meant crunching if you weren't careful going from 2nd to 3rd. Otherwise, condition and mileage etc. unknown. Needed to change the clutch so it was an opportunity while it was off - decided to invest in what should have been a problem free replacement to the box as well! Now think I should have left well alone but hindsight is a wonderful thing!!
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

The 1098 gear lever is different to the 948; the length below the gear lever ball is longer on the 1098. If you fit a 948 gear lever in a 1098 box, the shift is very vague.
Richard

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I would certainly agree with what has already been said, that remote housing in no way looks reconditioned, it's part of the box and I would expect to able to eat from inside of it at this stage.

Interested to know how the replacement looks.
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Just to close the thread off really - and show the comparison as biomed says - I've fitted the other gearbox they sent me and this one is absolutely fine. A relief to know the fault wasn't down to my workmanship!

And as someone mentioned - I could very well eat my dinner from inside this, which I absolutely couldn't from the other by comparison.
20200402_201004.jpg
20200402_201004.jpg (3.59 MiB) Viewed 1323 times
andrew.searston
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by andrew.searston »

It looks like copper grease to me inside the selectors. I had a problem with 3rd jumping out straight after rebuild, turned out to be the propshaft was to tight on the shaft so couldn’t slide and was putting to much load on the box in different positions
[sig]9671[/sig]