Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mrbenn
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Carb parts

Post by mrbenn »

I have a 1966 Minor with a 1275 engine from a '68 Midget.

A fuel leak recently developed from the pipe seal at the bottom of the float bowl. With that sorted, I now have another leak that seems to be coming from a deteriorated pipe to the jet, presumably on its last legs before I disturbed it. On taking the carb apart I also appear to have a slightly bent needle. The car ran very well at any engine temperature, and ambient temperature, but has always smelt slightly rich from the exhaust. That said, the plugs are a reasonable colour, it has never failed a (visual) emissions test and fuel consumption is about what you'd expect.

Obviously, I need to replace the jet. Unless I can just replace the pipe? I also need to replace the needle.

- carb is an SU HS4 1.5" (FZX1146 on the float bowl lid) part originally from a Mini
- jet is stamped with AUD4795, and is a waxstat/capstat and seems to have a black "identication sleeve" around the pipe, though it is very perished and may have just lost its actual colour
- needle is an ADE

I don't seem to be able to find a like-for-like replacement jet. Does anyone have a suggestion of which jet, plus needle, would be suitable as a replacement?

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I haven't done much more than clean the float bowl out on on the carb on this car. It's always run perfectly. I've removed the engine to change the clutch, done the head gasket, changed the diff plus suspension all round but the carb is a mystery to me.

Many thanks for any help.
Attachments
needle2.JPG
needle2.JPG (2.21 MiB) Viewed 1380 times
jet.JPG
jet.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 1380 times
carb.JPG
carb.JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 1380 times
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Re: Carb parts

Post by newagetraveller »

Burlen used to sell parts for SU carbs.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Burlen still do sell parts for SU carbs.

Just follow through on the link below to find all you want.

http://sucarb.co.uk/?SID=cfuorq19ifr2pv ... __store=su

The tab on the top of the float chamber (seen in place in the above photo) will tell you what carb you have.
I would recommend that you change the wax stat jet to a RED jet without the wax stat.

mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

Thanks both.

I've seen the Burlen site but am currently none the wiser.

Seems my ADE needle is a .090" size. There are a number of .090" jets, all with part numbers beginning LZX and I'm unsure how to cross reference to the AUD4759 I currently have in order to get a suitable replacement. There are also various colour identifying sleeves, none of which match the one currently fitted.

Perhaps I'm being thick but is one of the ones on offer the "standard" jet? Waxstat jets in the size I'm after are:

LZX 1113
LZX 1322
LZX 1331
LZX 1323
LZX 1111
LZX 1330
LZX 1110
LZX 1112

In addition, these jets are listed as suitable for the AUE 1110 or 1111 needles, not my ADE (listed as NZX4005)

Am I missing something obvious?

Many thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Look at the letters/numbers on the float chamber tab and then go back to the Burlen web site and follow through.
If in doubt post the float chamber number on here.
The float chamber number tag is the key that opens the door to the SU spare parts store.

liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

mrbenn wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:27 pm Thanks both.

Seems my ADE needle is a .090" size. There are a number of .090" jets, all with part numbers beginning LZX and I'm unsure how to cross reference to the AUD4759 I currently have in order to get a suitable replacement. There are also various colour identifying sleeves, none of which match the one currently fitted.

Perhaps I'm being thick but is one of the ones on offer the "standard" jet? Waxstat jets in the size I'm after are:

LZX 1113
LZX 1322
LZX 1331
LZX 1323
LZX 1111
LZX 1330
LZX 1110
LZX 1112

In addition, these jets are listed as suitable for the AUE 1110 or 1111 needles, not my ADE (listed as NZX4005)

Many thanks.
Why don't you do it the old-fashioned way and give Burlen a call and ask them?!
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

philthehill wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:39 pm Look at the letters/numbers on the float chamber tab and then go back to the Burlen web site and follow through.
If in doubt post the float chamber number on here.
The float chamber number tag is the key that opens the door to the SU spare parts store.
Good info, many thanks for that Phil.
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

liammonty wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:28 pm
mrbenn wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:27 pm Thanks both.

LZX 1113
LZX 1322
LZX 1331
LZX 1323
LZX 1111
LZX 1330
LZX 1110
LZX 1112

Many thanks.
Why don't you do it the old-fashioned way and give Burlen a call and ask them?!

Call them on the phone? Steady on!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here you go:-

http://sucarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburetto ... s/id/1733/

All the parts you require are listed in the link.

mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

Fantastic! Thanks very much indeed for the link, good of you to find and post :D