Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Michiel
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine to far forward?

Post by Michiel »

Yes true. I'm taking it from top of block rearmost, visible peeping out from under cloth. Kevin measured from end of cilinder head I assume.The CH does not overlap the engine block, so I gather the difference can't be less. But I have to check this.
Finished rescuing a 1967 2-door. Define finished....
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

I can just get a finger between the engine bay crossmember and the bolt head holding the gearbox on. Same as the photo from Michiel above.
Cardiff, UK
Michiel
Minor Friendly

Post by Michiel »

Thanks Rob! So engine position can't be far out. I'll follow Phil's advice and try wriggling the whole thing backwards a bit and check propshaft on splines position. If that's acceptable I'll leave it at that.
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

I would be interested to know:
a. How close are the timing marks on the timing chain cover to the rear of the front crossmember.
b. If the prop shaft is fitted, how much of the rear end of the gearbox is exposed.
Michiel
Minor Friendly

Post by Michiel »

I loosened the engine support tower to chassis legs bolt, rubber mounts nuts, also gearbox side, crossmember bolts and started to wiggle, like Phil advised. Result!
IMG_20200614_152912~2.jpg
IMG_20200614_152912~2.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 407 times
Same at the other side where I also adjusted the tower a bit to be exact parallel with the chassis legs. All is now quite acceptable to me as the hole in the top of the towers is slotted for a reason. At the gearbox end it also looks better. Previously I trial fitted wings, grill, and bonnet and to my relief all gaps looked good. I today fitted the propshaft that slided on its splines to the same position as before (apart from the chassis legs I also fitted new leaf spring front mounting plates and rear hanger legs). So all is well and I realy thank you all for your responses and advice.