Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Extended mot

Post by les »

I’ve been hearing stories about this 6 month extended mot concession. Some say if you get a test when the 6 months are up, the mot certificate is valid for 6 months, ie bringing the expiry date back to what it would have been originally. Any clarification? It doesn’t sound right to me.

simmitc

Re: Extended mot

Post by simmitc »

First I've heard about it. Normal MOTs are valid for 12 months from date of issue. except where you get it tested within the last month of validity when you can then keep the "extra" validity; and that would seem to be a reasonable precedent to the current situation. The system automatically grants the six months extra and then you just get one as normal. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020.
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

if you google mots and covid the hm site https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020 shows that if your mot was due after 30 march then it will be extended for 6 months from the date of expiry ie 1st july to 1 jan 21 you will be notifed 7 days before the extension is applied if not check on line and if not extended there is an e mail address to notify dvla so they can apply extention. One of mine was due on 2 june has been extended to 2 December., If you want to take your car for mot on the due date then you can't be granted the extention,if it fails you need to fix it and get a new mot. Logically its to prevent spread' a car must be a sure fire way of spreading the virus,one cough and the whole of the car is contaminated by you or the mot tester. Stillcan be done if the car is unroadworthy,it's up to you to make sure of that
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for both responses.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Latest this week.

The official link that's been posted by people above has been updated.

The MOT Extension programme ceases at the end of the month.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mand ... m-1-august

When the Covid-19 lockdown was introduced, forcing many garages to close, the Government decided to extend the MOT certificates of cars due to be tested between 30 March 2020 and 29 March 2021, making them valid for 18 months rather than the usual 12. However, this will now only apply to cars which were originally due to be tested before 1 August.
So your MOT expiry date will be only extended by 6 months if it’s due by 31 July 2020.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for the update.

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I took what was my dads 2008 Focus for a MOT yesterday as it is normally due in July and where I take it I stayed in the car while the MOT tester stayed outside the car. I just had to beep the horn put the lights on and the other things he would do if he did it. He still looked underneath and checked everything else on the outside of the car. It passed with no advisories. They let the owners of the cars stay in the cars so they have to touch the car to a minimum.
Last edited by morris van on Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sid »

yes,my daughters' Renault Megane Mot is due on august 4th.we were expecting the 6 month extension,but have now booked it in for it's test later this month.however,i got the extra 6 months with my everyday elderly Xsara..which has extended it 's life by a few months!