Fuel Pump won’t stop

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MikeB
MMOC Member: No

Fuel Pump won’t stop

Post by MikeB »

Hi there from NZ. My pickup has been sitting for a couple of weeks went to start it yesterday fuel pump kept pumping eventually fuel over flowed tapped carny bowls (twin carbs) fuel leakage stopped fuel pump stopped ticking and we were away.
This morning I turned the key fuel pump kept ticking again and again except this time no fuel overflow just continual ticking. Tank is full of fuel and pump is fairly new. Question is if pump is continually ticking but no overflow of fuel what is wrong can anyone help please.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel Pump won’t stop

Post by myoldjalopy »

Sounds like it is pumping air instead of fuel - but I can't see why this would happen suddenly. You say the pump is new so unlikely to be a split diaphragm but anything is possible, I suppose. First thing I would do is detach the fuel line at the float chamber and see if the pump will then pump fuel into a jam jar or similar container. If it does, then see if the pump stops when you block off the end of the pipe with you finger. Obviously, safety precautions apply regarding exposed petrol.
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Fuel Pump won’t stop

Post by jaekl »

Important question, is it a very rapid pumping - lack of fuel or air leak, or is it slow pumping - actually moving fuel?