Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Front brakes - corroded nuts

Post by Andyhereford »

Some advice please. Working my way around the brakes. Front o/s cylinders are corroded / leaking. Intended to replace them BUT the nuts holding the cylinders in place through the back plate are so corroded that rather than turning they are rounding off. Also the flexible break pipe to the cylinders is stuck fast as is one of the copper break pipe nuts. Thought that if II could take the back plate off then I might be able work these nuts lose on a bench or if not cut the nuts off and replace with new. However the only problem is that the four nuts holding the back plate to the front “axle” are pretty corroded themselves. I have tried soaking them in penetrating oil overnight but am worried that they might also round off. Has anyone any other idea how I can go about this please. I have new cylinders, new flexible pipe and new break “joining “ pipe so all that I really want to do is to strip out the old stuff so that I can put in the new. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Front brakes - corroded nuts

Post by philthehill »

Remove the hub and then remove all of the seized back plate holding bolts/nuts using a disk cutter/grinder and replace with new.

newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

Gas torch and a mole wrench.
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly

Post by Andyhereford »

Cut off with angle grinder and replaced. Thanks for advice.