Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear Brake Cylinders

Post by Donald Ross »

Hello

My 1970 morris minor currently has a pair of old Lockheed rear brake cylinders. My passenger side one has now developed a small leek.

I am aware you can rebuild them but in the mean time i would like to replace them.

I had done some research and see i have the following purchase options:

1. A original type delphi/lockheed Cylinder @ £40 each.

2. A pattern unbranded cylinder @ £15 each.
Or
3. A a pair of Borg and Beck Cylinders @ £32 for the pair.

I would assume that Borg and Beck ones would be good (i am aware they cant be rebuilt but im not worried about that) but not sure?
I know Lockheed were good back in the day but not sure about these days and i am unsure about the pattern ones.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these 3 options and which one would you recommend to be the best quality as i am unsure of which to go for.

Thanks
Donald
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rear Brake Cylinders

Post by ManyMinors »

I think there are only 2 options in reality and you'll find that the "Borg & Beck" ones ARE actually the cheap reproduction items in a better box.
Short of finding new/old stock original items I don't think you'll find that those sold now as "Lockheed" cylinders are actually as original.
I have fitted the cheap reproduction cylinders to the rear of my car and they are fine - although I used the (so called) Lockheed ones on the front.
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Donald Ross »

Interesting....

The only other brand i can find for these rear brake cylinders are Quinton hazell @ £27.39 for a pair.
I recognize this company as well but whether they are any good or not is another question.

Thanks for your reply ManyMinors yes i did suspect the Borg and Beck ones may be the cheep ones so thanks for confirming this.

If anyone else has any experience with the Quinton hazell ones are they any better or are they the cheep ones also?

I will order tonight so if anyone has any other suggestions i would be interested to hear them.

Thanks again
Donald
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Re-sleeving is an option worth considering in particular with brass or bronze sleeves from what Ive read...

See this old post..

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51919

or this modern supplier who lists all minor items..

http://www.pastparts.co.uk/index.php?ro ... ath=84_254

T
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

The rear cylinders are a different beast. The reason they are considered non-rebuildable is due to the slot for the handbrake lever. There is no easy way to hone them. This is one of the reason why they are alloy, so that they don't rust but is also the reason why they freeze so easily. Mixing steel (piston) and aluminum is not a good idea. On the other hand the bores clean up rather easily with steel wool. I would try rebuilding them first or at least clean up the bores and check their condition.