Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Deaconbrody
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Morris Marina Handbrake cable

Post by Deaconbrody »

Hi, I have a Morris Minor with Marina disc brakes on the front and a marina back axle. The problem is the handbrake cable. While it is working okay just now, I cannot adjust it. There is no central bracket for the adjusting mechanism, i.e. the screwed section with the two nuts, to anchor to. I was looking at the mini bracket and trying to work out a way to fit one of these. As the Marina brake cable has only one cable to the Minor handbrake, I assume it is only connected to one side of the lever. Can a Marina handbrake lever be fitted to a Morris Minor, and would this help?

At the moment with the rear brake shoes adjusted properly the handbrake comes up 4 clicks to be fully on.

Should I just live with the arrangement fitted, or try and fit a bracket to anchor the adjusting portion of the Marina cable.

I have read posts about moving backplates to allow the minor handbrake cable to fit. This sounds a big job.

All the best,

ian.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Morris Marina Handbrake cable

Post by philthehill »

Forget the single Marina handbrake cable - you can use the two Minor handbrake cables. All you need is two brackets to attach the rear end of the Minor handbrake. I have seen these brackets listed as repair brackets but they can be easily made. Each bracket fits and is secured under the axle mounts.
You can adapt these mounts https://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear- ... mm-p831293
I had similar fitted to my Ser 2 which had a Marina axle fitted and used the original type Minor handbrake cables.
You can rotate the brake back plate so as to get the brake operating lever the front side of the axle which is not a huge job. Drill two extra holes in each back plate for the drain and remaining securing bolt; use the the other plate as a drill guide.
As you have a Marina axle you may need this tool.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Marin ... SwnYdfgas6

Deaconbrody
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Morris Marina Handbrake cable

Post by Deaconbrody »

Thanks Phil,

I will look at this modification. Also, thanks for the links,

Ian.