Early MM parts

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Early MM parts

Post by RobThomas »

Hello Rod.
Still working on it. Shipping seems to hover between $5800 and $6500 NZ so I need to keep looking for a sensible price. Not impossible. I did wonder if it might be more viable if the container was filled with other 'stuff' that is more common in NZ. Early front bodywork and early engines, good condition early upholstery etc.
Cardiff, UK
Redmoggy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Redmoggy »

Hi Rob, issue would be storage. I had to move the car to work when we moved house, I no longer have my big detached double garage to hide things in. The Wives car and my two old Triumph Motorbikes live in the carpeted attached double garage. Filling it with random bits of motorcar would likely lead to divorce!

Can I assume for that price they also fill the container with restoration fairies who will have it finished by the time it arrives? I hope you can find a more affordable option. Perhaps drop a line to the Vintage Car Club,
https://www.canterburybranchvintagecarc ... contact-us
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Great. :roll:
It has just been announced that an additional $1000NZ will be required to 'disinfect' the car before departure. That $1000 car has somehow become $7000+ car, Rod.
Looks like a no-go, I'm afraid.
Cardiff, UK
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

I was waiting for something like that, Rob. I'll be honest in its current state and with no running gear I thinking more 250 quid. I may try and blag some extra storage time at work due to this silly Beer virus, may even fix some more rust and revisit the idea once this has all blown over.

Cheers,
Rod
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

I can't bring myself to crush this old girl so whilst the Boss is still happy for it to be in the workshop I'm going to play with some rust. There will be minimal if any repair panels, partly because I would like the car to remain more Morris than Hadrian but also because of the obscene mark up placed on the panels when they get here.

So I started some time ago by removing the left A post to access the worst bit of corrosion I could find. The pictures should be self explanatory.

It's been well over 10 years since this I did this kind of work and I'm a little out of practise! Let me know if any of you are interested in seeing more as I go.
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

Redmoggy wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:56 am I can't bring myself to crush this old girl so whilst the Boss is still happy for it to be in the workshop I'm going to play with some rust. There will be minimal if any repair panels, partly because I would like the car to remain more Morris than Hadrian but also because of the obscene mark up placed on the panels when they get here.
HURRAY !!
Redmoggy wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:56 am It's been well over 10 years since this I did this kind of work and I'm a little out of practise! Let me know if any of you are interested in seeing more as I go.
Yes, please. These sorts of photos are an inspiration. While I won't be doing the work, my '49 Tourer has a bit of repair needed. So keep them coming!
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Glad to hear its being saved!!! Keep up the good work :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Not the fastest progress but I have been pottering away and I'm slowly getting back into the swing of it. When I cut the A post off I cut along the joggled flange leaving part of the inner flitch in place, in order to save that flange the repair panel above has a reverse joggle that is plug welded behind the original panel and then seam welded. This means that with the A post re fitted I should retain the original seam. I had to remind myself constantly to fit the captive plate for the check strap!
Once that was done I could prep the original A post, sand blast and prime the inner surface along with the captive plates and get it welded on. I bolted it to the door first and then screwed it in place. After fitting the front guard and adjusting to get nice even gaps I finally (after over 5 years) got the A post back on.
Then I was time to repair the cover plate
I've tried to keep the pictures as raw as possible, not to much finishing done yet but not looking bad. The moment of truth will come next week when I re hang the door to make sure nothing moved while I wasn't looking.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Got all the left hand panels reassembles to find near perfect door gaps. So that was nice!
Now it's time to work my way along.
JohnV
Minor Friendly

Post by JohnV »

Redmoggy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:43 am Got all the left hand panels reassembles to find near perfect door gaps. So that was nice!
THAT is impressive! And likely not as easy as you made it sound. Carry on ...
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Some quality work there Rod, looks good. Hope this gives you the enthusiasm and motivation to do the rest. This car is far too good to crushed.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

John, odd as it sounds it has really helped that I can only spend around half an hour after work at a time on it. It forces me to go over everything I have and have not done before I crack the MIG out.

Philip, I had a breaker lined up to take it away shortly after the cost of shipping became prohibitive for Rob. I kept putting it off but things only changed when a young fella contacted me through the site having brought my old Red Moggy in the UK. For some reason it gave me the kick I needed. I'm still unsure as to an overall plan, with two kids under five my original plan of a nut and bolt concourse resto is out the window. However I would like to see the body in paint and maybe bolt some shiny suspension bits to it...
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Well, I started working my way along, I knew the end of the sill was a little soft and looking down through the rear quarter there was a huge build up of debris so I decided it was best to open up the rear quarter for a proper look. Sure enough the end of the sill was rotten and the bottom section of the boxing panel extension was also shot. I forgot the before picture but we all know what rust looks like.

The boxing panel was repaired and a new section of sill was fabricated and welded in before a couple coats of epoxy and a little seam sealer. I managed to replicate the two little drain holes so hopefully when all is said and done it will look nice and factory.
Once I've repaired the inner arch I'll give it a coat of stone chip before I weld the bottom of the quarter panel back on and repair it's bottom edge.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Good to see more progress Rod. Looks like some good quality thorough and methodical work. Hopefully seeing more work completed keeps the motivation levels up. Great to see a solid original car being saved. Being broken for spares or being scrapped would be such a shame.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Still plodding away, managed to get the bottom of the rear quarter repaired and stitched back on.
I made the mistake of buying a box of cheap flap discs, you can see the difference in the finish between the upper weld and the lower one. Wont be buying them again!

I managed to score a free chunk of 3 mm steel from someones cut off pile so next up I can start on making the end of the centre x member.