Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alloriginal1owner
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Steering rack grease nipple photo

Post by alloriginal1owner »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:44 am The original type lubrication gun supplied with the car, is shown in your picture. They are often missing from the toolkit but are readily available. As you say, it is very difficult to know how much oil has actually reached the inside of the rack - or how much was in there to begin with. I tend to lubricate my rack every couple of years or so but if it has no leaks, it shouldn't really be necessary.
A syringe won't do the job. You need to get a proper gun to connect with the nipple and the gear oil you have will be fine.
Thank you! I'll try to find an oil gun then. I was just looking for the original one from the toolkit – the internet names it "grease gun", so I don't know, if it has also been used for oil. @philthehill says it's not possible.

The more I read about it, the more I think it's a matter of faith whether you use grease or oil. I like that. And will prefer oil.
Milly: 1957 four-door-saloon, 948cc. Moved to Hamburg 2008, off the road 2012, finally back May 2021.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

alloriginal1owner
For the type of nipple fitted to the rack you need a grease gun.
It really does not matter whether you fill with grease or oil. The most important point is that the lubricant gets to all parts of the rack.
You can use a mix of oil and grease if you like.
You can always inject extra lubricant on the other end of the rack from the standard fitted oil nipple by pulling back the gaiter and squirting lubricant into the rack mechanism.
See also my post regarding extra oil/grease points on the steering rack.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70541&p=644136&hili ... es#p644136

alloriginal1owner
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by alloriginal1owner »

philthehill wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:08 am For the type of nipple fitted to the rack you need a grease gun.
Thanks for that interesting link! Sorry, I have to ask: You mean this is the nipple for grease? It is flat on the top, the grease nipples at the suspension i.e. are round.
Attachments
hbEQtkRRRcSEo0s7i6QIcQ_thumb_a4dd.jpg
hbEQtkRRRcSEo0s7i6QIcQ_thumb_a4dd.jpg (210.83 KiB) Viewed 578 times
Milly: 1957 four-door-saloon, 948cc. Moved to Hamburg 2008, off the road 2012, finally back May 2021.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The nipple in the above photo is for use with a grease gun.
I suspect that the other grease nipples mentioned are for use with a grease gun. Grease nipples come in all shapes and sizes but there is a near standard/common shape for oil nipples which is the Enots type/shape and is of the type featured in the Minor workshop manual steering lubrication schedule.