Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Steering rack withdrawal- which side ?

Post by Edward1949 »

Probably a silly question. I need to remove rack from my 1968 saloon. My garage is quite narrow. Is it easier to pull out the rack from any particular side ?
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Steering rack withdrawal- which side ?

Post by simmitc »

I can't recall a recommendation in the manual. but I've always taken it out on the driver's side.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

It is easier to bring the rack out of the drivers side as you have sight of the pinion where it goes through the floor.
Having that sight means it is easier to control the extraction of the pinion and whole rack.

Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

philthehill wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:54 am It is easier to bring the rack out of the drivers side as you have sight of the pinion where it goes through the floor.
Having that sight means it is easier to control the extraction of the pinion and whole rack.
Good point. That settles it, right side it is. Many thanks
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

If your garage is " quite tight " , like mine , I suggest you do the extraction with the car outside. I know the weather is less than predicable but you don't want to get 95% the way through , only to find that It would been easy " with just another 12" / 30 cm of wriggle room ". There are never enough words to describe the situation !!
Not repeatable anyway.
Are you fortunate enough to have a side door that you could align the front wheel up to , thereby providing an escape route for the rack ?
It's the painting a floor yourself into a corner with the room door in the opposite corner when you've finished.
Hope it goes smoothly , ball joint splitter at the ready.
Bob