Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ronnie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rear brake cylinders

Post by ronnie »

Hi. My rear brake cylinder is seized . Is it worth trying to strip it and fit a repair kit or renew cylinder. Any tips gratefully received
Ronnie
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Rear brake cylinders

Post by oliver90owner »

All replies on here should be ‘replace it’. We have no indication of the actual fault and as it is clearly a safety issue, there should be nobody who is going to stick out their neck and say repair it.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Ha ha, although I do agree with replacing.

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

only repair (on any car) if no replacements obtainable, never a good idea,the reason being that the old cylinder will have a rough wear area where the old rubber didn't reach,as soon as you pump the brake to bleed or on braking after repair the new rubber hits this area and very quickly gets damaged,and back to start,if you have any front end or car left after the crash. :(
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Although you can't hone the cylinder due to the slot for the lever, the bores can easily be cleaned with steel wool. I think the reason they were made with aluminum was to facilitate refurbishing. However, using steel pistons encouraging seizing. Yes, over the years, I rebuilt several cylinders with no leaks.