Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Quality tools

Post by moggiethouable »

smithskids wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:46 pm 5 years Wallsend Slipway and Engineering Co, then to sea with BP. See the world and get paid for it!! :D
Ah, mine was at Haverton Hill/Port Clarence (super tankers) as a mech fitter. I tried sea trials and it wasn't really for me, I think I prefer terra firma. So I left just before they closed to catch the last of the big construction contracts with William Press. After that it seemed things were changing and sure enough a recession hit so I came off the tools. Which is why I think I like to keep my hand in with Minors. There's not much of a requirement for someone with experience in ships engine crankshaft deflections here now :-?
Where angels fear to tread
Bigrob
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bigrob »

Albeit my entire life has been metric, I was talked into buying snap-on tools on finance, as my employer ensured me "I'd never own better".

I understand you're paying for the after care, but I always found there was a reason (read excuse) not to repair or swap out a faulty item.

I was given a halfords ratchet when I was an apprentice, and it out lived 2 higher priced financed equivalents.
1968 Trafalgar Blue 2 door- Pig
1970 Met Police 2 door- Panda
beero
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by beero »

Got all my AF and Whitworth tools from car boot sales. Loads of good quality spanners available for pence.

nutsandbolts
Minor Friendly

Post by nutsandbolts »

I agree with Beero, get round the car boots, they are all back on now, look under the tables and you will find the boxes of old tools, go for vintage British, American, Swedish, German, Even some Japanese are good quality.

You can also find vintage Record vices which are far better than modern record vices, and as Beero says 10p - 50p for spanners, files, sockets, also look for old box spanners, back in the day they were used before socket sets were common, forget the new imported gleaming stuff! good hunting!

Larry
the most unreliable part of a car is the nut holding the steering wheel!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

I don't even know what that IS!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The tool in question is the special tool Pt No: 18G389 (basic tool) plus 18G389A (adapter) for removing the seal on the rear of the Minor gearbox.
I already have the tool plus the seal remover adapter for the 'B' series gearbox otherwise I would be going for it.
Recently one was up for sale on 'e' bay for in excess of £70.