Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

New owner 1st trip

Post by Bill_qaz »

On first trip from storage to home it broke down :roll: but simple fix turned out to be loose fuse and dirty ignition fuse holder. So cleaned and tightened set off next day for pub lunch and ran good.65 miles total, really liking Monty. Next job adjust drivers door catch as I think it's only on the spring catch and not the main, sticking out and rattling like crazy. :o Probably then able to here the other rattles :D
Regards Bill
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: New owner 1st trip

Post by ManyMinors »

Excellent news. A good Minor 1000 is indeed a very enjoyable drive. Always some small jobs to do though.
I'm confused that a dirty fuse caused a breakdown? The ignition circuit is not fused on a Minor 1000 - for exactly that reason :wink:
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:23 am Excellent news. A good Minor 1000 is indeed a very enjoyable drive. Always some small jobs to do though.
I'm confused that a dirty fuse caused a breakdown? The ignition circuit is not fused on a Minor 1000 - for exactly that reason :wink:
On mine it's the fuse that live when key on and feeds the electric fuel pump.
Regards Bill
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The petrol pump doesn't have a fused supply on a Morris Minor. You've just found out why it doesn't!
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

So what do the two fuses control, the lower dirty one stopped it running Doesn't one fuse feed the ignition switch that then supplies power to fuel pump and ignition circuit?
Cleaning it and the contacts resolved the issue.
20220122_134048.jpg
20220122_134048.jpg (4.51 MiB) Viewed 677 times
Regards Bill
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The top fuse is for the horn and the interior light which work without the ignition being on.

The bottom one is for the indicators, windscreen wipers, heater fan, fuel gauge, brake lights and other items which only work when the ignition is switched on.

Neither fuse covers anything which could stop the running of the engine (basically the ignition system or the petrol pump) because it isn't considered safe to run these circuits through a fuse and have the possibility of a breakdown.

It is quite common for neglected cars to suffer faults related to dirty fuseboxes. A few minutes cleaning yours up will be time well spent but it shouldn't make any difference to the running of the car - unless yours has been modified in some way. These cars, over so many years, do seem to suffer from "improvements" made by previous owners :wink:
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

But isn't the supply to the ignition switch via control box supplied from the fuse.
So no fuse no ignition switch supply so no output to fuel pump and ignition system, just like turning key off?
Regards Bill
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

No, not unless a PO has messed up your wiring.

See the wiring diagram here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28295
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

So as I said, on the diagram you linked fuse feeds term A on control box which is connected to A1 which feeds the ignition switch which feeds the fuel pump.
So the fuse controls the supply to the fuel pump. Putting a switch in a circuit does not change the fact that the fuse controls the supply. Fuses are always at the supply not at the consumer.
Regards Bill
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion! Follow the diagram starting at the battery. There is not a fuse between the battery, ignition switch and coil/fuel pump. Suggest you take out your fuses and see if the car runs, if not it has been incorrectly wired.

One side of the fuse is the live feed, ie "unfused", perhaps this is causing confusion? The wires attached on the "unfused" side are just using it as a junction box.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

So the diagram linked is for key start do you have one for pull start version with alternator conversion?

So the fuel pump and ignition coil and ignition switch should all be connected to the input side of the fuse, so key on feeds both of them and the fuse input. Is it the lower fuse?
I will check when I next visit the car
Last edited by Bill_qaz on Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Bill
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

No, but the pull start wiring diagram is the same as regards what is fused and what is not. The alternator conversion makes no difference to the fuse wiring. Not sure why you seem to mistrust the advice given. It was standard practice on most (all?) cars at the time to have unfused supply to these items for safety as previously mentioned.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

It's not mistrust it's just the car is new to me and has had many modifications so slowly working my way through what's been done to better understand my version of this car.
I am well aware that older cars were wired with unprotected circuits as I am older than the car :lol: .

On the pic I posted you see only 2 white wires left lower fuse which I think is input side so maybe the po moved fuel pump to output side, that why I asked is the lower fuse of the two. I can't check now as the car is in storage but will update when I have checked.

Pic from another post shows 3 white wires
Screenshot_20220129-192558_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220129-192558_Chrome.jpg (679.74 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Regards Bill