Traveller Wood - Mind the Gaps

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Lew Schiller
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller Wood - Mind the Gaps

Post by Lew Schiller »

My new to me 1968 Traveller has had a new wood kit installed. Overall it's nice but in some places there are gaps between wood segments. Most are "playing card" size but some are a bit larger. The wood was given an initial treatment of Danish Oil.

My first question is: How should I address these gaps to prevent intrusion and rot? Should the larger gaps be filled? I'll be sanding it so I wonder if I'd be better off going to a varnish top coat as that might better seal them. I'd add photos but I don't have a hosting site for them

My next question is regarding the infill panels. They are mostly tight to the wood but there are spots where there is a bit of "looseness" which may also allow intrusion. Most of the panels have been caulked to the wood with clear silicone. Is this the preferred method?

Thanks for any help. I'm smitten with my Traveller and more importantly so is my wife. I want to do all I can to properly care for it.
(Still haven't decided on gender or name)
unclealec
Minor Fan

Re: Traveller Wood - Mind the Gaps

Post by unclealec »

Either gender is perfectly legal these days.
Regarding properly caring for it - I find that an occasional weekend away goes down very well, and sometimes a bunch of flowers from the petrol station.
I call mine (who is female) the Fun Prevention Officer.
Hope this helps.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Hi and welcome to the world of Morris Minors.
You do not need to have a hosting site for pictures. I just take the pictures I need, save them to my desk top and then attach them to my post as and when necessary using the attachment facility.

Lew Schiller

Post by Lew Schiller »

Ah..didn't look down far enough to see the utility. Just saw the photo icon which does want hosting.
As for the Traveller it's actually my third. I had a two door Saloon in the early Naughts
Bought an Export Model (American) Tourer in June and then the Traveller which benefited from extensive work done through friends in the Dorset Branch of which I am a member. The Tourer despite being virtually rust free is a full restoration work in progress. The Traveller is a driver that has the usual needs.
Attachments
IMG_20220209_161749118.jpg
IMG_20220209_161749118.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 693 times
IMG_20220211_192510061.jpg
IMG_20220211_192510061.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 693 times
IMG_20220211_192227209.jpg
IMG_20220211_192227209.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 693 times
IMG_20220211_191956176.jpg
IMG_20220211_191956176.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 693 times
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Regarding your gaps in the wood frame.

I filled mine with................wait for it.............."Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure"

Once you have finished laughing go have a look on their website and then give it a try, it has certainly done a very good job on mine and prevented any ingress of water over the last four years. It is primarily designed for sealing cracks in boats.
I used a hypodermic syringe and needle to inject my cracks ( I mean the ones on the car !! ) :D, It took about two or three applications before it would accept no more. On the larger gaps you might have to put some tape over them to prevent the fluid running straight back out until it has cured. It sets into a flexible solid so will allow the wood to expand and contract naturally.

https://captaintolley.com/

Phil
Lew Schiller

Post by Lew Schiller »

This it the kind of guidance for which I came!
Sounds perfect. The larger cracks..well..I guess I'll have to figure out a way to dam up the bottom.
I wonder if a slurry of it and fine sanding dust might work to get the bulk done.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I wonder if you could fill some of the larger gaps with slivers of ash veneer before trying the Captain Tolley's. ?

Phil
Lew Schiller

Post by Lew Schiller »

Interesting thought. I'll have to look for some.