Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

No engine number

Post by kevin s »

Our minor is a late 69 car and came with a 1098, when we bought it it had a worn out 950 engine which is also listed on the reg document, we have now fitted a 1098 based around a new block we got from ESM, this came with no engine tag (the block had been faced). So I don't have any engine number that is vaguely relevant to a 1098.

It's insured as a 1098 but I really should correct the DVLA info, Any idea what I tell them for a engine number? only thing I can think of is giving it my own number something like initials, RM and date.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: No engine number

Post by simmitc »

Exactly that. I would preface it with "10MA-" as a nod towards the original 1098 engine numbering, but your initial and year/month would be perfect.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I tried for years to tell DVLC as it then was of a new Goldseal engine fitted in 1979. Having been ignored I eventually removed the Goldseal number and had a new engine number strip made with the original engine number on it. The scrivets were drilled out and the new ones tapped into place. Now my car matches the DVLA records. The plates are available, stamped, on several mini spares sites.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Frankly if there is no number at all on the new engine I would leave the record as it is. Trying to get DVLA to amend anything can be a complete can of worms and there is nothing that can be proved to be wrong.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

If the dvla had the right capacity I would just replicate whatever they have but I'm not sure they would buy an increase to 1098 with the same number.

At least I have a receipt for the block which will hopefully go someway to avoiding too many issues.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Despite the problems that people do encounter with the DVLA, this is NOT a difficult matter. It is a simple transaction. For basic guidance see https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-detai ... ce-to-give

Change of engine number or cylinder capacity (cc)
You need to provide either:
  • a receipt for the replacement engine
  • written evidence from the manufacturer
  • an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
  • written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)
How to do it, see https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-detai ... -tell-dvla
How to update your V5C
Fill in section 1 if you have a new style log book with multi-coloured numbered blocks on the front cover. Fill in section 7 if you have the older style log book.
Send it to DVLA with any necessary evidence.
If the change is not listed in section 1 or 7, add notes to the ‘vehicle details’ section instead. Send it to DVLA with evidence and a letter explaining the change.
Where to send your V5C
Send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ if you changed any of the following:
  • engine size (cc)
  • fuel type
  • weight of a goods vehicle
  • number of seats on a bus
For all other changes, send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

simmitc wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:00 pm Exactly that. I would preface it with "10MA-" as a nod towards the original 1098 engine numbering, but your initial and year/month would be perfect.
Late std. '69 car would prob. be a 5 digit 10V/189E/H unit, these have plastic breather pipes.

BMHT can tell you exact number.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

How odd that someone would have fitted a 948cc engine in place of the 1098cc! :-? Did it still have the rib-case gearbox, as a 1962-on Minor should?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Better no engine number than no engine! :lol:
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

It had been off the road for around 15 years when we bought it, I wondered if someone fitted a 950 when vehicles under 1000cc got free road tax, or perhaps they just had one kicking around. Apart from the engine and the steering wheel (earlier wire spoked one) everything else including the ribbed gearbox, carb and air cleaner and engine backplate appears to be standard 1098.

I am aware of the process I had to do it for my TR7V8 when I fitted the V8, there I had an engine number to give them but had to get a covering letter from a MOT tester as the engine was one I had had no paperwork for.

I've ordered some rivets and will make a plate up then send the doc off with the block and crank receipt.