Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
StevetheJeep
MMOC Member: Yes

Sensible upgrades ??

Post by StevetheJeep »

Hello fellow MM owners,
Having recently returned to the MM fold after a 40 year absence with a '67 Traveller which is a dry weather (ideally) second car around the many and frequently steep roads of north Devon and Somerset.
In spite of running against the gearbox downhill, it soon became obvious that it was incapable of actually stopping on the steepest long down hill, and sometimes being 'out braked' by it's younger brethren in front on ordinary roads.
Accordingly I fitted a servo and ventilated front discs with uprated rear shoes, resulting in confidence in it's stopping ability should any situation arise.
Becoming bored of being sat at the roadside twice with the AA due to condenser failure I fitted British made electronic ignition, so bye bye nice man in yellow van, and the car now starts and runs beautifully.
Finding the headlights became yellow if run with the heater fan 'on' and the (new) battery was not being well charged I fitted an alternator. That sorted that one.
The handling in the road was a bit 'vague' and any bump made it behave like a startled horse, I've fitted a new steering rack, and poly bushed both front and rear suspension, and filled the Armstrong shocks with SAE 40 oil. This makes it handle as well as, if not better than, when it left Abingdon 45 years ago.
The purists may berate me for these alterations/modifications (I have kept everything I've removed) but my Traveller is a delight to drive with confidence anywhere, whilst considering the terrain locally, turning in a respectable 35mpg on average.
Sun shining, dogs ready, Exmoor here we come!
Cheers
Steve
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Sensible upgrades ??

Post by panky »

Sounds just about perfect :tu1:
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

All sensible upgrades for a daily driver Morris, in my opinion.

Spin-on oil filter and halogen headlights are other good ones, if you don't have that already. Plus a cigarette lighter socket for the sat nav if, like me, you have a tendency to get lost! :lol:
StevetheJeep

Post by StevetheJeep »

Thanks for your kind remarks,
I forgot to mention the spin-on oil filter, 12v power outlet for the wife's mobile & sat nav,. Plan to get around to the halogens and fit the custom made dog guard (bolts onto the rear arches) to keep the Labradors in place.
Am considering a bigger fuel tank as at times the 200ish mile range can be a pain. Especially as 'out in the sticks' there's not a filling station every few miles.
Carry a can of goo instead of a spare wheel ?? as it precludes the carrying of the wheel I understand.
Have jerry cans aplenty off my WW2 jeep, but don't really like carrying them inside the passenger space.
S
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I throughly recommend the halogen upgrade. It's really quick to fit and improves night visibility a lot. Plus, if a bulb goes you can get one easily wherever you are, unlike a sealed beam.

I'd see how you get on with the current tank before thinking about upgrading. I've had a flat a couple of times far from home and wouldn't want to be without a spare. In terms of mileage, I did a round trip from Hastings to Inverness a few years ago and didn't find the capacity a problem. Yes, it wouldn't go as far on a full tank as a modern car but I don't think I'd have stopped any less frequently with a modern anyway.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Does it keep up with modern traffic too?
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:28 pm Does it keep up with modern traffic too?
Don't all 1098 Moggies keep up with modern traffic?
StevetheJeep

Post by StevetheJeep »

Well yes, not quite like the '65 Shelby Mustang nor the Sierra RS 500 Cosworth did, but very tolerably so. The engine was professionally rebuilt less than 3k ago, but it suits my needs and expectations currently.
I have seen/heard of a Moggie with a Ford flat head V8 in it, interesting, but a step too far moi methinks?
Steve
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

As modern traffic can't move at all, an Austin 7 would be held up by it.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I would recommend fitting led stop tail bulbs. Quality ones are so much brighter-next time you follow a minor note how poor they are compared with other cars on the road. The same could be said for indicators but this is a bit more work. I would also consider a hazard warning light kit jus in case of a breakdown
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

A LED stoplight is the rear window is well worthwhile as well, you can get inconspicuous strips meant for mopeds which work a treat when mounted across the bottom of the screen.

We have also fitted KA seats, high back seats are much safer in the event of being rear ended, you can buy off the shelf kits to fit modern mini seats now which look promising.

Rather than hazards we just bought a very bright magnetic LED warning beacon which plugs in the cigarette lighter and is stored on the parcel shelf, you can plop it onto the roof from the drivers seat and see it miles away.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Here's my version of high(er) level brake lights. I replaced the reflectors with LED's that just happened to fit perfectly into the original reflector holders.

The wiring is no longer trapped in the door shut :roll:
StevetheJeep

Post by StevetheJeep »

Now that is a good idea, can you send me your supplier please and I'll get some. I've never had need to remove the reflectors, do you prise the lenses out/off or does the whole unit unscrew anti clockwise? I assume they're wired into the sidelights? behind the wheel arches.
I have a LED red fog light mounted externally underneath the number plate, use it in wet/inclement weather if the forecast is wrong again !
Thanks
Steve
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

The lens pops out and there's a screw holding the rubber base to the post. The LEDs have an M5 thread sticking out of the back and you need to extend this (I used an M5 riv-nut as a sleeve and a suitable bolt) and bore a hole through the post for this and the wiring to enable it to be secured, and yes spliced into the brake light wiring. The LED units have two circuits, one bright the other not so bright, so you could actually wire them to operate as both side lights and brake lights.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363915214877 ... 3158812198

I've since added some, along with traveller bases and chrome trim, to my Commer camper for extra visibility

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I believe that it is a legal requirement to have red reflectors on the rear of the vehicle. Unless the LED units also act as reflectors (*which, according to the description, yours do), then by removing the original reflectors, and driving on the road, you may be committing an offence; and should also fail the next MOT. This information is for anyone thinking of using similar products that may be slightly different. There is nothing wrong with having LEDs and reflectors, but you should fit the reflectors. Towed vehicles must display triangular reflectors of the prescribed dimensions.
Dusty56
Minor Friendly

Post by Dusty56 »

After almost as long a break from Minors as the op we bought a convertible on Saturday.

This particular car has the upgrades already done; front discs & servo, alternator, electronic ignition and additional fuses.

We shall be adding oil pressure and water temperature gauges at the weekend.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed her three hour top down journey home. I enjoyed following her.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

StevetheJeep wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:57 pm Well yes, not quite like the '65 Shelby Mustang nor the Sierra RS 500 Cosworth did, but very tolerably so. The engine was professionally rebuilt less than 3k ago, but it suits my needs and expectations currently.
I have seen/heard of a Moggie with a Ford flat head V8 in it, interesting, but a step too far moi methinks?
Steve
'65 Shelby. You have my attention.

289cu 4.7L GT350?

Too early for my favourite. A 1969 Boss 429.
scrooge95
Minor Friendly

Post by scrooge95 »

I'm watching this thread with interest!
My '67 Traveller is currently away having a plethora of oil leaks sorted (plus head gasket, suspension adjustment to level it up, and numerous other little niggles that it came with).
It already has a brake servo fitted, and I'm not unhappy with the all round drum brakes.
Possibly halogen headlight bulbs would be good (I really noticed the difference when I changed to these on my '74 VW Late Bay campervan), and any upgrades to the rear lights that are possible.
Hopefully at the same time as the engine work, we're swapping out the dynamo for an alternator, adding a hazard light circuit, and also a water or oil temperature gauge (which is better? Or both?).
So I'll be cribbing further ideas from here! :D
1967 smoke grey 1098cc Morris Traveller / 1974 white over orange VW Late Bay camper
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I have 2 minors which are very lighly modified. I would recommend the following simple mods

LED stop/tail (High quality ones) -15 minutes to swap these over and others can see you
Front Halogens -if you ever use it at night, change to these and they are not expensive...
Temperature gauge (this saved my engine when i had a leak)
Screw on oil filter (it will not leak -if you are careful you can run with the original type
Damped pulley (this makes the engine much smoother and avoids road side failure)
Hazzard warning lights -i have never needed these yet....
Alternator - if the dynamo system is not working well
Larger battery- I find larger batteries are cheaper than ones specified for Minors, and give obvious benefits of improved starting
Replace points with electronic module.
LED flashers (albeit this is a little more involved as you need to change flasher modules)

You can go much further as this thread has suggested with brakes and engines, but above are simple changes that really can make a difference
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Water temperature gauge is the standard 'temperature gauge'. More importantly, in my opinion, fit an oil pressure gauge. I have both fitted on a dual bracket under the dash next to the driver's door. Both are Durite and the oil pressure gauge is mechanical and the temperature, electric. They're both really nice, clear gauges and give you a bit more piece of mind while driving.

I also like seeing them glow under the dash when driving at night. They make the car seem more cosy. Maybe that's just me being odd!