Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

No washer on sump plug

Post by James k »

Hi,

I changed my oil today and found that there was no washer on the sump plug. Presumably it fell off last time and I didn't notice. Anyway, since I didn't have a spare one and had to refill the oil, I put the plug back in without the washer. Do you think it will be okay just to keep an eye on for leaks and fit a new washer next time or do I need to drain the oil back out and fit one now?

Thanks,
James
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: No washer on sump plug

Post by svenedin »

The question is to you really. Was it leaking without the washer? Put some newspaper under the car with a hot engine and you will soon find out. If it's the tiniest of drips leave it until the next oil change.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

In an ideal world, you would replace that washer at each oil change. But many don't and I suspect there are a lot of cars running around without one. Nothing to worry about, especially if its not leaking, or barely leaking......
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

There does indeed need to be a copper washer there, which is malleable. This allows for expansion and contraction of the drain plug against the sump when the oil heats up. It also acts a sandwich piece to protect the drain hole. Without a washer, you may not only get leakage but the worst case scenario is the plug works loose.