Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pete Bags
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

A guide to waxoyling a Moggy?

Post by Pete Bags »

I have searched on-line, but I just cannot find a good and clear guide on how to waxoyl (or other similar products) a Minor.

I don't know if or when the hidden internals of my car might have been protected in the past, but I would like to bring the protection up to date.

I would like to protect the sills and chassis rails, and any other nooks and crannies where damp and rust can hide, but I am unsure as to how to get the waxoyl into these hidden areas, and be assured that everything is given a thorough coating. I was hoping that someone might have a simple chart showing where they poke the nozzles in, or do I need to drill new holes to do this? I have looked on YouTube as well, but haven't found anything yet!

What equipment and products do you all use? Any tips and recommendations would be much appreciated to a novice waxoyler!

Many thanks,

Pete
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: A guide to waxoyling a Moggy?

Post by King Kenny »

When I use waxoyl I dilute it with white spirit and place the container in a bucket of hot water to help with the creep factor. Choosing a warm sunny day helps too. I use the waxoyl's pump and spray can but there may be better options. Remove the bolt on door sills to access the outer box sections.and lift off the gearbox cover for the inner box sections. Cover the entire floor area underneath and around the inner wings. Be careful not to spray the brakes. Do not forget the inside of the doors. Use a 2 inch brush to spread the wax. It is a mucky job. Also, ensure you do not need any welding done before you start.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As above, but also push the applicator spray hose into the rear rails, accessed form inside the boot - you may need to remove foam plugs. Lift the rear seat and squirt into the holes in the side rails and also the large holes across the car at the front of the seat area. For 4-door and Traveller, remove upper seat belt mounting bolt and squirt in your choice of rust preventer. Also the front cross member under the radiator.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

All good advice. I'd add removing the scuttle panel trim to reveal the kidney panel. Drill a couple of holes into the raised parts each side of the recess to get your choice of preservative into the areas between the inner wing, flitch panel and hinge pillar. This is possibly the worst area for rust on a Minor. I also drilled holes in the engine bay floor to get into the front cross member and the front sections of the chassis legs. You can fit grommets to any holes you drill, but do add a bit of paint to the edges of the holes.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

You don't need to drill any holes to access the scuttle panel areas. The top of that area is open anyway so there is plenty of access from above for a flexible lance. It is all easier to gain access with the glovebox liners removed but it all depends upon how dismantled the car is.
I agree, it is an important area to rustproof.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

At either side of the boot floor the rear end of the chassis rails are open. They may have a bit of sponge pushed into the aperture which needs to be removed. Spray preservative up through those apertures which will preserve the body rails over the axle.
Removing the plate over the master cylinder will give access to the front chassis rail for spraying preservative. The other side can if required be opened with a hole saw for spraying and a rubber bung inserted after spraying. Alternatively, the non-master cylinder side of the gearbox cover can be trimmed back as per the master cylinder side and a master cylinder cover fitted in place of the removed section. This will give good access to the non-master cylinder side of the chassis rail. The kick plates can be removed to get access to the mid-section of the chassis rail for spraying.

cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

All good tips! Really like Phil's idea of adding the master cylinder plate to the other side.
One thing I also like to do is to fill a syringe with runny waxoyl and carefully run it along just under the headlining either side of the car squeezing gently as I go to protect the channel under there. One of those syringes for grp resin is ideal. The excess comes out either down by the drivers footwell or at the rear