Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

How much fun?!?!??

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Today I had my first experience of driving Alfred, my Traveller, in the snow. I purposely set off for the countryside and found a lovely lane where the snow was packed down, but it was the hill at the end that was the best bit. Spinning my way up it in third gear, never having to stop and making it to the top at still over 20 MPH, was great! We're always talking about questions and problems, sorry, challenges on here so I thought I'd just point out how much fun these little cars are to drive.

Was this irresponsible of me? Probably. Was it fun? Absolutely. So do I care? Not at all!! :)
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: How much fun?!?!??

Post by alanworland »

As a teenager (years ago!) when we used to get real snow my mate and myself used this massive empty pub car park for 'snow practice'
Did about 40 miles in it doing all sorts but I am convinced the experience taught us both an awful lot about driving in the snow.
Most drivers these days haven't got a clue, which can make it dangerous for everyone.
Would I do it again - you bet!

Alan
sid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sid »

back in the '80's a steep hill at the bottom of my lane proved impassable in the snow one winter..apart from me and a mate on my old BSA and box sidecar! Happy days :D
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Oh I'd love to hear more of these stories!

Very true, that we don't get proper snow anymore.

When I was 18 I was trying to get the back end of my mini (original 1275GT) out on a small roundabout, not noticing the police car that had seen! Fortunately, I worked for a pizza company at the time and we gave discount to the local police, so they let me off.
Philip

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

alanworland wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:34 pm As a teenager (years ago!) when we used to get real snow my mate and myself used this massive empty pub car park for 'snow practice'
Did about 40 miles in it doing all sorts but I am convinced the experience taught us both an awful lot about driving in the snow.
Most drivers these days haven't got a clue, which can make it dangerous for everyone.
Would I do it again - you bet!

Alan
..and yes, sorry Alan, you're right about the experience point. I've driven a fair bit in the snow (5+ hours commuting home when we had proper snow). I'm sure the only real way to learn how to drive in the snow, is to drive in the snow!
Philip

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Many years ago I got stuck in St Germans due to heavy snow. Couldn't get any grip on the hill leaving the village and we both ended up staying the night in a big, old house being used as a kind of hippie commune. That was in a 2-door 803cc splitty......
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

As a young lad I had an MGF. Whenever it snowed I too would seek out large empty car parks for “snow practice”. Boy that car was fun.

Another time I remember arriving at a local classic mini club weekend in blizzard like conditions. It was in this pub, within a caravan site, which was up the top of a steep, bendy single track road. As the last mini to arrive, all the snow had been rather unhelpfully compacted. Only once or twice did I slide backwards downhill towards a little “dry stane dyke” and a burn (stream)…much to the alarm of my passenger and I! Anyway…creeping up very carefully an inch at a time the mini eventually made it to the top. The occupants were rewarded with much beer and the mini got a good nights sleep.

Happy snow memories :D
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Great snow memories indeed! I absolutely love Scotland but haven't driven enough there to have an opinion, and only then in a hire car, not anything fun. I've used my feet more than a car :) I don't much fancy the Moggy on the road to Applecross.

I must say I've been impressed with how reliable Alfred is, despite spending his time outside on the drive. He starts second time always, first time sometimes, and is great once warmed up. Nothing quite like a drive in the countryside, whatever the weather.
Philip

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I think the Morris would be absolutely fine on the Bealach na Ba on the road to Applecross. It's a lovely road, a steep climb, but lots of switchbacks. A Morris should handle it all easily. If you haven't read it (and I'd recommend the book), in Magnificent Morris Minor, Max Horvat tells how travelled huge chunks of Europe and traversed almost all of the Alpine passes in his Morris - as well as much of the UK. If his Morris managed all that, Applecross should be fine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNIFICENT- ... ect=mobile
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Bought. Thanks for the recommendation - I shall look forward to reading that over Christmas, along with a mince pie and a glass of whisky. Thanks very much for the inspiration Philip!
Philip

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

philipkearney wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:58 pm A Morris should handle it all easily. If you haven't read it (and I'd recommend the book), in Magnificent Morris Minor, Max Horvat tells how travelled huge chunks of Europe and traversed almost all of the Alpine passes in his Morris - as well as much of the UK. If his Morris managed all that, Applecross should be fine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNIFICENT- ... ect=mobile
Thanks for the book recommendation Philip. Quite an expensive read though. Sounds quite inspiring! I’d love to do a “Moggies to Monaco” run some time.

Btw, I know this is a bit of a digression (apologies) but on drive it day 2023 we are doing a joint run with the MMOC Scottish Branch, mini clan & (hopefully) MG owner’s club. Would be great if you and any of your fellow east coasters could head across to Ayrshire to meet up.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Thanks John. I agree, it's a bit expensive. There's been a copy on eBay for at least a year or more, priced at £29 plus postage. It's not shifting so too expensive. There are other copies for less. I bought my copy earlier this year for £10. An easy read but very enjoyable and some lovely pictures.
Slightly connected, the picture below popped up on the series 2 register today. No idea where it is but this one has clearly made it up a mountain pass too.
IMG_5687.PNG
IMG_5687.PNG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 2231 times
Thanks for the invite John, be great to get across and catch up with folks. Sitting here in sub zero temperatures and several inches of snow, I can't imagine spring time and getting the moggies out of hibernation.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Not exactly a Moggy tale but back in the 70s I owned a Renault 12TS (still in the top 3 of my all-time favourite cars - Oh how I loved and cherished that car.......sighs wistfully).

Snow descended rapidly and unexpectedly one day and the only way to get home from work, was to get up a long steep hill which was one of the main arteries out of the city. Let off early from work it, as everyone else was, cars were abandoned left right and centre in the deepening snow. At the foot of said hill, a policeman on foot, was trying to stop vehicles attempting the climb and thus risking adding to the already high number of vehicles that had tried and failed.

Even now, I can hardly believe that I waived the PC out of the way, in a sort of 'I'm-coming-through-whether-you-like-it-or-not' gesture! It wasn't exactly like smashing through a police cordon in true film car chase style, but the constable did have to move smartly to one side!

Thankfully, my expert driving skills (Ahem) combined with my FWD 12TS ensured a safe passage to the top of the hill and safely home. I think the Renault 12 range had the engine somehow located ahead of the driving wheels, which may have helped with the traction......or was it simply my feather light touch on the throttle?

I certainly wouldn't have the bottle (sense?) to defy a traffic instruction from a policeman today but when you're young and relatively carefree......

Sighs wistfully again at the memory of that 12TS.