It's not always the clutch itself that fails........

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

It's not always the clutch itself that fails........

Post by jagnut66 »

.......sometimes the problem is caused by the linkage......
I'll explain:
Travelling home from work my clutch pedal suddenly went right to the floor and stuck there, the only indication that something was wrong was that since leaving work my gearchanges had been getting harder / crunchier.
However, I had thought that I'd make it home and could investigate when I did.....
Wrong!
I had been working on a overdrive upgrade for my Triumph Herald but this now had to be pushed onto the back burner and the Herald hastily reassembled, so that I could free the space in the garage, as the Traveller (relayed home by Green Flag) needed a new clutch.....
Or did it.
Well, no actually....
The end of the clutch actuation linkage arm that pivots in a retaining bush bolted to the chassis had literally torn itself free of its housing.
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage failure 1.JPG
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage failure 1.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1188 times
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage failure 2.JPG
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage failure 2.JPG (551.67 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
And I had to use a hammer and punch to knock the splayed edges of the housing back into place, so I could access one of the bolts to undo it.
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage failure 3.jpg
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage failure 3.jpg (249.54 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Fortunately all the parts, including the housing itself, are available to repair any problems that may arise with the clutch actuation linkage, in this case I only need three of them:
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage replacement parts 1.JPG
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage replacement parts 1.JPG (867.64 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
They all sit very snugly one inside the other....
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage replacement parts 2.JPG
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage replacement parts 2.JPG (246.16 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Unfortunately it looks like the last person to replace these decided to fit the bronze bush upside down (it has a lip that sits over the rubber bushes inner edge), which may have speeded up its demise....
Last edited by jagnut66 on Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: It's not always the clutch itself that fails........

Post by jagnut66 »

Morris Minor clutch activator linkage failure 4.JPG
Morris Minor clutch activator linkage failure 4.JPG (269.53 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
Given this must have 'pushed back' off the chassis when they were tightening up the bolts (it sits slightly proud of the rear), you'd have thought they might have considered that something could be amiss.......
Anyway, I thought I'd post this up to see if anyone else had had something similar happen to them.
I needed to take the Travellers engine out to fit a refurbished gearbox (yes, I bit the bullet and bought one) in place of the secondhand unit I previously fitted anyway (as although it had freed up a bit it had developed an odd habit.....), so access to do the job was made easier by the fact that it was all stripped out.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well done. A problem not to be found in the usual text books/manuals...........
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done from me also.
I trust that you installed a poly bush!
Phil

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I trust that you installed a poly bush!
Not this time round, as I needed to get the job done and I'd have to find one that fits anyway, I doubt there is one specially made to fit with these parts, mainly because I'd be surprised if there was the demand for one.
That said, I have bought two sets, so I can use the spare housing and bronze bush to see if I can find or adapt a poly bush to fit.
The shaped one for the top trunnion springs to mind for a start, although the centre hole may be too big.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Morris Minor top trunnion bush.jpg
Morris Minor top trunnion bush.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I doubt there is one specially made to fit with these parts
ESM has them.
Don
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Before the advent of poly bushes, I used a cut down Landrover Series damper bush. The rubber was harder than that used by BMC.
Minor Mania way back in 1992 were producing a firm plastic bush to fit the relay shaft. I still have a NOS one.
(I also have a NOS set of their plastic top link bushes, spring bushes and eye bolt bushes).
Here is the link to the ESM poly bush: -
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/clutc ... de-p829577

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks and noted, I'll order a couple. I didn't think they'd do these in poly, so I am surprised.
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As a final note on this, I have to admit that having forked out and bitten the bullet fitting a rebuilt gearbox in the Traveller has transformed the driving experience.
I look forward to getting behind the wheel again now.
So, whilst no one is buying her I'm still enjoying her! :D
Their loss...........
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As a post script to the above and, seemingly, just to emphasise how rubbish modern rubber is, the rubber bush fitted with the new kit is breaking up already!!
Pushing the bronze bush and linkage arm out of alignment, not enough to stop me changing gear, yet......
That is, not stopping me if my rebuilt gearbox hadn't already given up but this is the subject of another post.......
Once said (supposedly) rebuilt gearbox is out, I will take the opportunity to replace the rubber bush with one of the poly ones I bought.
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Whilst I await a reply (or none) from the company I purchased the 'rebuilt' gearbox from I thought I'd share this with you.
Today I pulled the engine and box, removed the u/s box and replaced it with my spare. Whilst I was at it I took the opportunity to replace the rubber bush in the clutch actuation linkage with a poly one, just as well I did........
DSCF4146(2).jpg
DSCF4146(2).jpg (374.73 KiB) Viewed 823 times
You can see the split, arrowed is where it is also cracking up. To emphasise, this was new and has only been in place for three months! :o
I guess it underlines further, if it were needed, just how cr*p modern rubber is...... :roll:
Best wishes,
Mike.
martin418
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by martin418 »

have you got the spacer that sits against the chassis rail behind the bush mounting
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

have you got the spacer that sits against the chassis rail behind the bush mounting
Hi,
If you mean the bronze bush that sits inside the (now) poly one then yes. Basically I have all that ESM picture as supplying in the link below, either original or replaced with new.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/clutc ... it-p829581
If you mean something else then no.
Do you have a picture of what you mean? If it's different from what is mentioned above.
Best wishes,
Mike.

Edit: Do you mean this?

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/clutc ... ce-p829534
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The relay shaft spacer Pt No: COM109 (ESM), Pt No: AAA3749 (MOSS) must be in place otherwise the rubber bush will fail as per the photo above.
The relay shaft spacer is item No: 60 in the link below
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... 51-71.html
The spacer stops the bush disappearing into the chassis leg.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Interesting, there wasn't one fitted when I originally dismantled this........
I will have to get one, although I'm not in any hurry to take the car back off the road and pull it all apart again :-( , I must admit.....
I will also check Sally to see if there is one fitted to her.
At this point, looking at that exploded diagram in Phil's link, I am wondering whether I can simply undo the two bolts securing the bracket (57), slide it all forward and slip the packing piece (60) in behind, then put the bolts back in??.......
Best wishes,
Mike.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You should be able to fit the spacer plate without having to dismantle the whole clutch linkage.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Time to uncork the copper grease then methinks, nothing like a bit of generous lubrication...... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The spacer plate is now fitted and maybe it's me but the clutch does feel 'firmer' / more positive now.
As mentioned above fitting this plate can be achieved without taking every thing apart again and I this is how I proceeded to do it. with the bolts out the linkage into the side of the gearbox can be compressed to allow the plate to be inserted into place against the chassis rail. The most awkward bit of the job was trying to get the inner bolt back in (the one towards the front is relatively easy), the one that's partially obscured by the linkage itself, however both were made much easier to relocate back into their holes / captive nuts with the help of my trusty 'podger':
Podger.jpg
Podger.jpg (262.41 KiB) Viewed 566 times
A tool that has proved very useful time and again.
Best wishes,
Mike.