Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Water leak (non Morris!)

Post by alanworland »

My daily is a mk4 Astra Estate and over the last 2/3 weeks I have been chasing a rain leak around the roof area rear corner. Running out of ideas.
The area in question, rear corners, is particularly complicated (and strong) consisting of 3 thickness sections of complicated shapes which I have tried to investigate with camera probes - endoscope type.
Anyway I seem to remember, but can't find, a member recommending a 'searching/seeking' sealer?
Does it ring a bell with anyone or a suggestion of that sort of product?

Alan
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Water leak (non Morris!)

Post by svenedin »

I think someone mentioned some kind of sealer in a thread about a leaking Traveller but I don’t think it worked. Have you tried tracing the leak with fluorescent dye?
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure: https://captaintolley.com/
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Thanks guys! That's the stuff - just ordered a bottle, 2 - 3 days delivery (highly optimistic!)
It's in the rear corner of the roof and I can only see the water once it appears halfway down the corner, a really complex assembly, my endoscope experiment was unsuccessful due to the multilayer construction.
I can only assume that over the years the original seam sealer has dried out allowing moisture penetration, not talking gallons, but I don't want any!

Alan
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

Is it the side that the rear wash pipe comes up .
THOSE WHO NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG NEVER DO ANYTHING
Alan Bude Cornwall
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Yes, nearside in that corner I think. Had the said grommet out (no splits) and replaced with silicone sealant in the body hole. All clean and tidy. Lifted hinges and bedded them in wax sealant, rear door seal removed and replaced with sealant in the joint, aerial gasket replaced and sealed. Roof bars removed and sealed where they bolt to roof and the entire roof joint sealed underneath the roof bars.
Really running out of ideas!

Alan
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Yes but what if it’s the wash pipe or its connections to the pump or wash jets? In other words maybe the water isn’t coming from outside.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

svenedin wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:37 pm Yes but what if it’s the wash pipe or its connections to the pump or wash jets? In other words maybe the water isn’t coming from outside.
Correct seen it before also sunroof drain pipes cracked and leaking if it has one just get someone to operate the rear wash while your looking could be your problem
Alan Bude Cornwall
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Good thoughts! although I can rule out rear wash as it leaked while standing, definitely water as I doesn't have the smell to it.
Sunroof good idea although when I dropped the headlining all looked good - I replaced the glass roof seal with a hollow section silicone seal and it really fits well, not like the original.
While I have a lot of the rear stripped out I will have a look at the drain pipes that run down where I am finding the water.
Thanks for your ideas.

Alan
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

alanworland wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:28 pm Good thoughts! although I can rule out rear wash as it leaked while standing, definitely water as I doesn't have the smell to it.
Sunroof good idea although when I dropped the headlining all looked good - I replaced the glass roof seal with a hollow section silicone seal and it really fits well, not like the original.
While I have a lot of the rear stripped out I will have a look at the drain pipes that run down where I am finding the water.
Thanks for your ideas.

Alan
Last time i had one of those sun roofs out it was the plastic section where the pipe connected it was running down the outside of the pipe ( i worked for Vauxhall 20 years )
Atb Alan
Alan Bude Cornwall
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

Ps also check the drain pipes are not blocked they do backup and overflow

Alan
Alan Bude Cornwall
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Thanks for the heads up must get this sorted!

Alan
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Rained overnight so had a check this morning (still raining) and it was running in, far more than previous. I had microfiber cloth positioned to absorb and there was quite a bit. Had a feel up into the corner as far as I could and the sunroof drain pipe was dry as was all of what I could feel?
Seemed to abate a bit after tailgate had run off most of it's water so with a jug of water tried pouring it around places. Had to give up as it was raining heavily so washed car and in a rain pause put its storm force cover on to prevent any more coming in.
When rain stops I shall continue with the jug of water.

Alan
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

An update after many days later and lots of jugs of water!
Sunroof drains were fine, flexible rubber cable boot holding cables to tailgate was suspect so was sealed although not guilty but eventually narrowed it down to a dried out sealant between roof and side panel.
Captain Tolley's arrived and over the last 2 days has been applied to the cracks with a syringe.
Hopefully this will cure it and I can reassemble my car!
Managed to get my endoscope camera up into the corner assembly during all this and must compliment Vauxhall on their paint process as it has got right into all the points I have investigated with no signs of corrosion due to the leak.
I have come to the conclusion that our very hot summer contributed to the 24 year old sealants demise as during the hottest days we had I actually measured 72 Deg C on the roof panel.

Alan
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

Congratulation Alan well done and thanks for letting us know
Alan Bude Cornwall