Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

New screw on oil filter

Post by Dotty traveller »

Me again I have just fitted said filter when mount is fitted to engine block there is a noticeable gap above the mount when tightened up ,and oil runs out when engine is turned over.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New screw on oil filter

Post by simmitc »

As I wrote in your other post, can you please attach a picture showing the assembly.

The filter that you fitted, was it a kit containing the filter, the head, and the studs with spring washers and nuts, or was it an adapter ring using the original head; or some other set of parts? Can you provide the supplier and their part number(s) for what you bought?

On the face of it, I suspect that you are trying to fit a new filter head that needs shorter studs; but without photo and above answers it's difficult to be sure.

Plenty on here use the spin on filters, so there will be an answer for you. It's all part of learning about the car. :wink:
Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

Screenshot_20230330_143907_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230330_143907_eBay.jpg (164.49 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

This is the kit I've fitted it really doesn't seem to fit the original aperture
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Would I be correct to say the threads are very different on either end of the studs... :-?
No chance you've fitted them the wrong way around?
My car had one fitted when I brought it, so I've no experience of fitting the kit, but mine is leak free....
( the Rocker Cover however is another question.... :wink: )
20230330_151852.jpg
20230330_151852.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1463 times
20230330_152301.jpg
20230330_152301.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1463 times
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Dotty, the original filter head uses much longer studs which have to be removed in order to fit the shorter ones supplied with the kit. As Berni suggests, one end is a coarse thread that screws into the block, the other is a fine thread onto which the nuts go. The gasket should provide a good seal.

You can see Berni's photos, could you please attach similar of your installation so that we can see where the problem lies.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Why have you done this? Put it back exactly as it was
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Fitting the spin on/off oil filter is one of the best conversions you can do to a 'A' Series engine.
Some things are best left standard but the oil filter is not one of them.
I have fitted several of these conversions (which was fitted as standard to later 'A' Series engines) and I have never had an oil leak.
The studs have to be changed and new greased gasket fitted.
Make sure that you have the correct union/adapter fitted between the oil feed pipe and the filter head.
When fitting the spin on/off filter head the feed pipe in most cases has to be adjusted for correct alignment. If not correctly fitted/aligned there is a possibility that the pipe joint will leak and the possibility of the pipe fracturing is increased. To overcome any alignment problems a flexible swaged pipe can be fitted between block and filter head.
With a bit of care and thought there should be no problems with this filter conversion.
There is a better British Leyland spin on/off oil filter head which was fitted to later MG Midgets/Sprites. The filter head has much more metal to it so stronger and the original studs can be used.
Below is a photo of the better oil filter head. If doing a spin on/off filter conversion these are the filter heads I use and recommend.
filter head 3.JPG
filter head 3.JPG (928.74 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Phil
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

This is my original filter top.
Attachments
This is the original top
This is the original top
20230330_170047.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 1450 times
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Dotty, it's your car, you do as you like.
Stephen, plenty of people have done it for very good reasons - it's much easier and quicker to fit a new filter with no parts to lose or mis-assemble; and it's less likely to leak.
Originality is great and has its place, and each to their own; but if the Minor was still being made today, then it would come out of the factory with a spin-on filter.

Dotty, yes that photo is your original head, but we need to see the new one installed on the car in order to advise further. I shall contribute nothing further until I can see the requested photo.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

simmitc
Absolutely spot on. :tu1:

The original filter head attachment face has a different shape and smaller hole but the new filter head conversion face has the transfer hole in the correct place and the gasket will fit. It may look different but I can assure you that it will fit.
Here is a spin on/off filter head for sale on 'e' bay and you can see the face that fits against the block.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374547404232 ... R-jps7XmYQ
Phil

Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

I'm thinking I need the mg screw on it looks the same as old body
Attachments
Original top
Original top
20230330_170058.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1439 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

svenedin wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:20 pm Why have you done this? Put it back exactly as it was
Yet only a few weeks ago you posted....
svenedin wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:27 pm Timing chain is notorious for rattling. A duplex chain may be an improvement. It certainly improved mine.
So it's OK for you to make a change of Timing Chain from Single to Duplex, but you disagree with 'Dotty' making an improvement to the Oil Filter.
Enough said.... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Dotty traveller wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:31 pm I'm thinking I need the mg screw on it looks the same as old body
You've totally lost me with your photos of what you took off.
It's the replacement one you've fitted we're trying to help you with.
You brought a kit which included a Filter, plus a New Mounting and 2 new Studs with nylock Nuts.

Have you, or have you not, removed the old studs and fitted the new shorter studs, before then mounting the new housing and securing with the supplied nylock Nuts.
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Dotty
You do not need the MG Body/filter head.
What you have will work.
Phil

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

simmitc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:10 pm Dotty, it's your car, you do as you like.
Stephen, plenty of people have done it for very good reasons - it's much easier and quicker to fit a new filter with no parts to lose or mis-assemble; and it's less likely to leak.
Originality is great and has its place, and each to their own; but if the Minor was still being made today, then it would come out of the factory with a spin-on filter.

Dotty, yes that photo is your original head, but we need to see the new one installed on the car in order to advise further. I shall contribute nothing further until I can see the requested photo.

Absolutely not. It is so obviously wrong and not eco friendly either
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

I will try again to send pic of filter in position on car but it keeps saying file to big I'm not sure what to do
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you’re using IPad go to where your pictures are, select the photo, click edit (top right) then reduce the image to the area of interest only, (filter head) that should let you post.

Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

Finally got pic to send .
Attachments
Pic of fitment to block
Pic of fitment to block
Screenshot_20230330_205824_Gallery.jpg (458.4 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

That explains a lot! It's definitely wrong :o Now we've just got to work out why, but it almost looks like it's sitting too low. Will have a think and come back to you.