Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Cruising Speeds 1098cc Motorways etc

Post by MikeNash »

Translating Nickol's figures, I make 100km/hr at 62 mph and 5.9 litres for 100km as almost 40mpg.

A further thought regarding vibration. I've found that while wheel balance is worth doing, the cast drums are also out of balance as are the cast hubs. On the front with a drum mounted on a hub its possible to determine its "high" and "low" spots by spinning and watching (its not easy) and then by moving the drum around the hub get it all nearer balance. Then with the balanced wheel fitted you get as good a balance as you can. Then again, one can fit balance weights to the complete assembly oneself and get a fair solution. The rear wheels are impossible to do in position because of the drag of the differential. One day I'll make a jig to get it right.
Regards from MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Edward1949 »

A few observations from personal experience over many years (55 actually) of on/ off Minor ownership....

There's something about the 1098 engine in the Minor - it's the least smooth compared with the 803 and 948. Smoothest was the 918 sidevalve. I've owned other cars with the same 1098 (MG Midget and BMC 1100) and the engines felt comparatively smooth.

I used to cruise my 948 Minor at the 70 limit - it felt unstressed despite the higher revs on the 4.55 diff. Counter-intuitively, my 1098 felt slightly unhappy at these speeds, despite the higher geared 4.22 diff. At the very least, BMC really should have used the 3.9 diff for the new Motorway age.

Some Minors I've owned always had some degree of wheel wobble - sometimes you have to work patiently through all the likely reasons.

A well-set-up Minor has reassuring directional stability. A car needing constant steering corrections on straight roads needs investigation,
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Edward1949 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:51 am A few observations from personal experience over many years (55 actually) of on/ off Minor ownership....

There's something about the 1098 engine in the Minor - it's the least smooth compared with the 803 and 948. Smoothest was the 918 sidevalve. I've owned other cars with the same 1098 (MG Midget and BMC 1100) and the engines felt comparatively smooth.
I used to cruise my 948 Minor at the 70 limit - it felt unstressed despite the higher revs on the 4.55 diff. Counter-intuitively, my 1098 felt slightly unhappy at these speeds, despite the higher geared 4.22 diff. At the very least, BMC really should have used the 3.9 diff for the new Motorway age.
Some Minors I've owned always had some degree of wheel wobble - sometimes you have to work patiently through all the likely reasons.
A well-set-up Minor has reassuring directional stability. A car needing constant steering corrections on a straight roads needs investigation,
Thank you for your observations. Yes you're absolutely correct. In fact, since I made that post I have investigated and fixed a number of suspension faults. A front damper has been replaced and eyebolt bushes and tie bar bushes. I have also found that the rear suspension is tired and worn out and that is now on the list of jobs to do.

The car is now pretty well behaved at speed on a motorway. The fact that the engine noise gets a bit unbearable at higher speeds is just one of those things I suppose. I could cruise at 60 mph for an extended period but more than that and it is just too loud.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

BMC really should have used the 3.9 diff for the new Motorway age.
For motorway work I completely agree with you.
But how does this ratio (3.9) affect pulling away from road junctions in real terms?
Allot or not allot?
Otherwise I agree with the sentiment that it is whatever you feel comfortable with on motorways (avoiding the topic of smart (read stupid) motorways here, as that is discussed in another topic for those interested -- viewtopic.php?t=71376).
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

I fitted a 3.7 diff to my warmed up 1098 Moggy (on a rolling road, 54hp at the wheels!) and it does make for more relaxed cruising. Pulling away at junctions etc is not a problem, but where I could often easily pull away in 2nd gear when I had the 4.22 diff, 1st gear is now needed more.

I used this web site to calculate my MPH against RPM - you enter your tyre size and your diff, and it calculates the RPM/MPH figures. Although it does not list a moggy, I used the Triumph Herald, as the final drive is 1:1.

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/gearspeed/

I have a rev counter in my glove box at the moment, and printed off a MPH v RPM when in 4th gear. It's very accurate when compared to my GPS speed device! Posting this picture, and I've just noticed my pack of Polos are somewhat out of date now!

IMG_4407.jpeg
IMG_4407.jpeg (189.21 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Pete Bags wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:03 pm I fitted a 3.7 diff to my warmed up 1098 Moggy (on a rolling road, 54hp at the wheels!) and it does make for more relaxed cruising. Pulling away at junctions etc is not a problem, but where I could often easily pull away in 2nd gear when I had the 4.22 diff, 1st gear is now needed more.

I used this web site to calculate my MPH against RPM - you enter your tyre size and your diff, and it calculates the RPM/MPH figures. Although it does not list a moggy, I used the Triumph Herald, as the final drive is 1:1.

I have a rev counter in my glove box at the moment, and printed off a MPH v RPM when in 4th gear. It's very accurate when compared to my GPS speed device! Posting this picture, and I've just noticed my pack of Polos are somewhat out of date now!

IMG_4407.jpeg
interesting but I don't have any non-original dials so absolutely no idea of rpm. if it sound like it's going to break, revs a bit high

I've been to two shows this Summer. The first shows I've ever done. What astonishes me is how little most of the cars are used. Mine is driven usually at least twice every single day.I use it in winter too , top down in minus whatever if it isn't raining. "Xav" likes being driven :D. Such a pleasure to drive old stinky. He's older than me. He was 20 I think when I was 17.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Many owners have a Minor as a 'hobby'. That is fine, and probably preserves them longer, as long as they maintain them well, but I subscribe to the view that these cars were made to be driven, and that is what I do with mine - I have no other car 8)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

but I subscribe to the view that these cars were made to be driven
Seconded.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Pete Bags wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:03 pm I fitted a 3.7 diff to my warmed up 1098 Moggy (on a rolling road, 54hp at the wheels!) and it does make for more relaxed cruising. Pulling away at junctions etc is not a problem, but where I could often easily pull away in 2nd gear when I had the 4.22 diff, 1st gear is now needed more.

IMG_4407.jpeg
Your mints are out of date.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

I was 17 and a newly passed test in 1974. Ran a series of half decent banger part ex's supplied by Dad, who ran a BL dealership. He used to bang on 'It's a 50mph motor'. Of course, I thrashed them to within an inch of their lives. Now at 66, driving my lovely Traveller, I smile thinking of him as it tootles along happily at 50 mph. As I approach the Junction i'm turning of, I creep it up to 60, but wouldn't like it for mile after mile.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!