Restoration Project - Value?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nutbush
MMOC Member: No

Restoration Project - Value?

Post by Nutbush »

I'm new to this forum, love Moggies but cant fit in one so not a project for me unfortunately.

I am in the position of needing to sell my father in laws 1963 2 Door saloon, 506 CNG, he has dementia and has recently gone into a home so we need to clear his property for sale.

As his attorneys we are expected to justify later to third parties the price of anything we sell on his behalf and we have no clear idea of a range of realistic values and would appreciate some guidance from the club members if that is allowed.

He loved putting Minors back on the road this was going to be his third restoration, but his abilities left him toward the end and he has what is basically a bottom up restoration project with a load of spares floating around the property, we know that he would want this to go to someone to restore which is why we will try and sell this to an enthusiast, not someone who really just wants the plate or spares.

The car is in Aylsham North Norfolk UK, the property is littered with spares, I found three rear window screens just dumped in the garden, spare engine and gearbox which may be the originals as engine is 1963 from the plate, lots of stuff which may or may not be Moggie but this was his third fixer upper in a row so probably is.

The car itself has been partially stripped but I think all the bits are there, the engine has run in the last two years but hasn't been on the road probably for ten, it has been dry stored all that time, as expected rusty bits, he was in the process of replacing rear arches, don't know what its like underneath.

I am attaching some pictures.

Apologies if this isn't the done thing to ask values before advertising for sale, but this forum seems the best source for realistic advice.

Kind Regards Chris
Attachments
03.JPG
03.JPG (239.13 KiB) Viewed 680 times
01.JPG
01.JPG (247.53 KiB) Viewed 680 times
05.JPG
05.JPG (135.34 KiB) Viewed 682 times
04.JPG
04.JPG (225.7 KiB) Viewed 682 times
02.JPG
02.JPG (186.43 KiB) Viewed 682 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Restoration Project - Value?

Post by ManyMinors »

The best way to properly achieve the car's value is probably to sell by auction. Maybe on ebay or similar? Any of us can give you a guess - and I would say it is perhaps worth around £1200.00 in that condition? - but in the end, it is worth exactly what somebody is prepared to pay for it. To restore it fully will cost more than its market value, so a Minor 1000 in need of full restoration is not worth a high price but that car looks a good candidate for an enthusiast to restore at home as a hobby. Good luck with the sale. I'm sorry to hear of your father in law's situation. All too common unfortunately.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Restoration Project - Value?

Post by les »

I think that valuation is optimistic but as mentioned it’s guessing. There is, apparently a one owner traveller here for sale at £500 that has not been used for years, and looks complete, as a comparison.