Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brake line fixing - really?

Post by svenedin »

Nickol wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:32 am Hallo Phil,

Yes they will be replaced soonest and need to be now for the TüV man. I intend to remove the damper, clean it up and replace the oil as shown on other threads here ( by yourgoodself included) . I am sure it has hardly ever been changed and certainly not in the 12 years I have had the car.

I do not think I have any spare schackle like bushes but will have a look in my collection (=chaos) because that looks like a good solution and if it stems from you, it must be ok!
Just be careful not to lose small parts when you remove the drain plug from the damper. It is a good idea to find a thread that has a photograph of the parts of the damper valve. Also do not over tighten the drain plug as it is easy to strip the thread in the alloy damper body (I made this mistake).

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

Thanksyou for the tip - I have noticed, there are some explicit videos in YT about the process.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I seem to have deviated away from the the brake lines but......took both the dampers off, cleaned them up as well as the arms. The Damper itself, underneath all the black dirt is in a sort of grey anodised finish. Looks quite nice.
The arms I have painted gloss black.

Went to remove the existing oil by carfully undoing the drain and filler bolts - there was no oil inside! I wonder, should I attempt to flush the inside with something to clean it up? I will check the appropriate threads here.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Yes you could flush through with oil. When you refill with oil you may find the dampers are leaking in which case exchange them for refurbished units.

Stephen
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

No oil came out on its own until I started to move the arms - then it was Victoria falls. Since then have refilled with 20W oil and it seems that neither is leaking. Certainly the arms are very stiff to move which must be good.

I have replaced one unit and as Philthehill remarked, it is a bit of a fiddle getting the rubber bushes in enough to allow room for the washer and nyloc nut. In the end I used a dished washer initially and screwed the nut on to compress the rubber enough to then remove both and replace with the proper washer.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Nickol wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:05 pm No oil came out on its own until I started to move the arms - then it was Victoria falls. Since then have refilled with 20W oil and it seems that neither is leaking. Certainly the arms are very stiff to move which must be good.

I have replaced one unit and as Philthehill remarked, it is a bit of a fiddle getting the rubber bushes in enough to allow room for the washer and nyloc nut. In the end I used a dished washer initially and screwed the nut on to compress the rubber enough to then remove both and replace with the proper washer.
Well done!

Stephen
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Just to tidy up the thread. with everything fixed, the TüV man was happy with my handywork on both the brake line supports and the rubber bushes and I am greatly relieved.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Good result :tu1:
Basil the 1955 series II

rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

Nickol wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:31 pm Just to tidy up the thread. with everything fixed, the TüV man was happy with my handywork on both the brake line supports and the rubber bushes and I am greatly relieved.
Good to know. I may eventually have the same issue to deal with so I think it'll do the same as you've done ahead of time.
1961 Morris Minor 1000