Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fuel pump

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Going to purchase a new fuel pump. I’ve noticed a few different choices. Electronic or points. Which is better? & if you currently have one with points can you easily switch to electronic?
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel pump

Post by svenedin »

I am sure you will get lots of different opinions. For the SU fuel pumps yes there are points types or electronic. I have used both. Points pumps for 30+ years and an electronic one for the last year. A points pump can be converted to electronic with a kit and changed back to points if wished. The pumps are identical except for what is under the top cap. They both make a ticking noise when working.

Points Type

Advantages

1) Can be used with either positive or negative earthed cars
2) Can usually be coaxed back to life at the roadside for a time at least (the time honoured way is to hit it)

Disadvantages

1) Not so suitable for cars that are used infrequently or that sit unused for long periods (e.g over Winter). Points tend to develop an oxide layer and need cleaning. Do not like prolonged damp conditions.
2) Periodically points may need adjusting which is quite fiddly to get right
3) Points eventually wear out but can be replaced

Electronic Type

Advantages

1) No points to clean or adjust. Maintenance free except for periodic cleaning of pump inlet filter (which also applies to a points pump)
2) Reliable. Either works or does not work

Disadvantages

1) Only works on one polarity, positive or negative and not interchangeable without swapping the electronic module
2) If the electronic module fails it cannot be fixed at the roadside.

Hope that is of some use.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Indeed,the points type can and do fail, as can electronic. But, as 'svenedin' clarifies, the points type can be 'got going' again at the roadside, unlike the electronic. I last had to fit new points in my pump about 23 years ago and it has given no trouble since, so I'm in no hurry to fit an electronic pump. And when the previous set did fail, I was able to coax the car home by the occasional tap on the pump body. Sometimes, all it requires is the points cleaning, although points that start to play up are probably best replaced for peace of mind.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Nobody has picked up on the final part of your question:
can you easily switch to electronic
The answer is yes, either a new Electronic Pump, or with a smattering of technical competence, the top part can be changed from points to Electronic.
https://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spar ... -kits.html
It's not cheap though.

To my mind, the traditional Points Pump is better, simply because if electronic fails, it's dead and you're stranded awaiting recovery.
Point pumps that stop working are 99.9% going to be the points worn/dirty/sticking, so a bit of a tap can usually get them going. The thing then is not to ignore the warning sign and service the pump!

This website for MGs sums it up nicely in my opinion, you can just insert 'Minor' where they say 'MG'...: https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/imgytr/sufuelpump.shtml
S.U. electric fuel pumps are amongst the most reliable fuel pumps found on older cars providing they are properly serviced and maintained. When supplied new with MGs they could be expected to easily outlive the engine without adjustment.
Our cars and all their components are now well past their design life, yet many of us are still using original fuel pumps. They will still operate, albeit unreliably, with eroded and incorrectly set contacts, poorly adjusted diaphragms and partially blocked filters. Often a sharp tap will restore a stalled pump to life for another month.
This ability to just about keep working with no maintenance, has unfairly given the product a reputation for poor reliability.
:tu1:
Basil the 1955 series II

MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Ok folks thanks for your feedback. I think my preference will be the points type. Purely for the reasons they can be worked on at the side of the road if needs be. Sometimes it’s hard to beat the old ways of doing things!
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

I do run with a +ve earth electronic S.U. pump. I changed to that after a points pump failed totally about 200 yds from home and there was enough in the carb. bowl to get me home - fortunately.
However, because the electronic pumps are either go or no go, I carry a points operated spare in the boot!
A bit counter productive and daft I suppose. :roll: