Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Heater

Post by Elainesminor »

Hi guys n girls ( if there are any girls )

I just wanted to ask about the heater , are they noted for not being the best for heat ? , my last car ( modern) had great heaters , both Chloe and myself have put leather gloves in the car to drive her with and also a hat cos she never gets warm inside

Thx

Elaine x
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Heater

Post by svenedin »

When in good order the later square heater is effective and my car gets too hot inside so that I have to turn the heater off. The matrix is often blocked with crud

In addition to a blocked matrix, the foam that surrounds the matrix and which is also on the baffle plate can disintegrate leading to air not being forced through the matrix. The pipes up to the de-mist vents can become disconnected or develop holes.

I completely rebuilt my heater back to bare metal and renewed the foam, matrix and refurbished the motor and de-mist vents. I really have no complaints and my car is a soft top and very draughty.

Last time I looked there was a company that would completely rebuild the Smiths heaters (early and late) but it was expensive so I went the DIY route which I also enjoyed doing.

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Sorry, I can;t remember what year your car is, but the earlier cars with a round heater were not very effective. The later rectangular heater boxes for 1098cc engines were better, and can be easily upgraded with a mini based matrix. However, before that, thoroughly flush the heater core using a garden hose in both directions until the water runs clear. Ensure that the control valve / tap (depending on year) is opening fully. Consider an 88 degree thermostat in the engine. Eliminate as many draughts as possible. Gloves have always been a winter feature for me. Heated seats are a nice extra, and heated front screen will help with visibility.
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Dear Ms Elaine,
It seems to me that everyone of the female persuasion is a cold and chilly mortal and needs all the insulation she can get. But like Mr Simmitc I recommend a 88C thermostat (like this https://www.morrisminorspares.com/cooli ... ee-p829595) which will greatly boost the performance of your round heater - or any other you have. And for cleaning out the waterworks I've used citric acid successfully. Don't forget to fill up afterwards with the blue coloured antifreeze too.
And finally, a while ago Lidl had electric seat covers for sale at £9.99 that plugged into a 12volt socket- I've got one and can recommend them.
Regards from MikeN.
PS Long ago and far away when I as a nipper and cars had no heaters and we didn't use antifreeze, the engines were covered with old coats and had paraffin heaters under the bonnet to keep them frost free. Then when I was a passenger, one of the coats was thrown around me and the still burning lamp was put underneath to keep me warm. It worked well - I recommend it. Of course, I suppose the fumes made an unwashed little boy smell none the worse.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

It should be easy enough to check the temperature of the engine coolant before/when the thermostat opens. No need to take it apart.

There is, of course, a risk that the thermostat is not completely closing, which will affect the heater performance. A warm/hot radiator, before the engine is up to temperature, is a sign of that - as might a slow warm-up from a cold start.
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

oliver90owner wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:58 pm It should be easy enough to check the temperature of the engine coolant before/when the thermostat opens. No need to take it apart.

There is, of course, a risk that the thermostat is not completely closing, which will affect the heater performance. A warm/hot radiator, before the engine is up to temperature, is a sign of that - as might a slow warm-up from a cold start.
Hi

I rang my local garage that has experience working on older cars , he says it sounds like a faulty thermostat , apparently the most common fault especially if you don’t know how long it’s been in , we might be able to do away with our hats and gloves 😂 so I’ve booked it in tomorrow, he’ll replace it then fill with plain water. test it then drain and refill with antifreeze, jobs a goodun 😂
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I’ve booked it in tomorrow, he’ll replace it

Personally I would be checking first, to determine if that is actually the problem. But there you go, he should know and not potentially saddle you with an unnecessary charge.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

The heater control valve is often at fault. The fail closed and prevent water circulating around the heater circuit. You can see if this is the issue by holding the water pipes that feed and return from the heater at the back of the engine bay when thr car is hot.

The valve could just be closed too
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Elaine,
I strongly recommend you ask for a high temp thermostat to be fitted (if needed) such as 88C or higher. For years I ran a 91C thermostat without trouble and gloried in the warmth! I fear your local garage will try to "play safe" and insist on 82-85C (which appears in some Minor manuals) and suggest to you that there's a risk of boiling at the higher figures even though the radiator cap pressurises the cooling system to 4 p.s.i. (so giving a boiling point of about 106C). There's also still a good deal of misogyny in the trade "where men know best".
The best of luck, MikeN.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

so giving a boiling point of about 106C

You are ignoring the antifreeze?
Exasperant
Minor Friendly

Post by Exasperant »

oliver90owner wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:58 pm I’ve booked it in tomorrow, he’ll replace it

Personally I would be checking first, to determine if that is actually the problem. But there you go, he should know and not potentially saddle you with an unnecessary charge.
Although hopefully a 'stat and antifreeze (and no harm having known fresh in there as it's winter) isn't going to be black market organ sellingly expensive.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Exasperant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:03 pm
oliver90owner wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:58 pm I’ve booked it in tomorrow, he’ll replace it

Although hopefully a 'stat and antifreeze (and no harm having known fresh in there as it's winter) isn't going to be black market organ sellingly expensive.
True but the thermostat housing can be really difficult to remove if it has corroded itself in place.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

Hi there

I’ve read all you comments and relayed them to the garage, especially about the higher temperature thermostat, he agrees about the stat providing that’s what it is but he’s gonna ring me later with a diagnosis but he’s 90% sure it will be the stat so not to expensive, Chloe was gutted having to get public transport to work , I on the other hand took her to the garage, if it’s ok I’ll let you all know the outcome

Elaine x
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Let's hope the garage give the system a good flush-out while they're at it. Won't take long.
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:59 am Let's hope the garage give the system a good flush-out while they're at it. Won't take long.
I’ve rang him and asked him to do this and he said he’d have done it anyway, and yes it’s the thermostat that’s knackered, he said no the wonder it’s cold in the car the stat was seized completely so he’s ordered a new one
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Re Oliver90owner's point above about the coolant's boiling point when mixed with antifreeze, if its ethylene glycol based like Bluecol then the antifreeze raises the boiling point. Ethylene glycol boils at 197C at atmospheric pressure and a 50/50 mix would boil at 106C. ('id use only 25-33% antifreeze myself.) So it's on the right side.
MikeN.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Elainesminor wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:34 pm
myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:59 am Let's hope the garage give the system a good flush-out while they're at it. Won't take long.
I’ve rang him and asked him to do this and he said he’d have done it anyway, and yes it’s the thermostat that’s knackered, he said no the wonder it’s cold in the car the stat was seized completely so he’s ordered a new one
Better a seized thermostat than a seized engine! :wink:
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

Hi there guys

Just thought I’d post an update on the thermostat, new stat fitted and Chloe picked her up on Thursday evening from the garage, she hasn’t been used till I went out in her this morning, took me 2 attempts to get her started but once out the garage and on the move I’d only done about 1 mile and I still had her on half choke but the heat coming from the heaters was lovely and warm so fixed …. for now anyway

Elaine x
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Success! By the time the heater is pushing out lovely, warm air you can probably push the choke back in..........